1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky through Home Cinema?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by ngk2112, Aug 20, 2003.

1. ngk2112

ngk2112
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been reading through several of the current threads on this forum. They are very similar to a problem that I currently have so hopefully someone can give me some advice.
    I have a Hitachi PMA400 connected to a Sony DAVS550 Home Cinema system via 3 Component Video leads. The picture is great when running DVDs. I want to connect a Grundig digibox up to the current system but I don't want any more leads connecting to the plasma. I want to run everything through the 3 component video leads. Does that mean I have to connect the Grundig to the Sony ? The only way it appears that I can do that is via the Scart on the Grundig (TV Out) to the 3 phono sockets on the Sony (Red,White,Yellow) using a Scart to Phono converter socket supplied with thenSony. However, that doesn't work.
    Can anybody help?

2. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    You can't do it, mainly because the Grundig does not output component video and the Sony does take a component input. The phono inputs on your Sony are composite video plus L+R audio - not component video, and I suspect they are outputs not inputs but I don't know the Sony so could be wrong.

You either need the Netgem digibox which outputs component video from the SCART socket, or pass the RGB output from the Grundig via a RGB/component converter (John Sims is the best). Either way you need to get 2 component feeds into a single component input on the Hitachi, so you need a component switcher. Scancom (?) does them for about £80 I think.

There are other options for getting the Grundig output into the display - what inputs does the Hitachi have?

3. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Sorry - should have said the Sony does NOT take a component input.

4. ngk2112

ngk2112
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Philip.

The Hitachi has multiple inputs (special card supplied with the screen) however, as it is mounted on a wall I simply want to channel everything through the high quality component video leads (I was told that they are the best way to connect?)

The manual with the Sony implies that a digibox/sat receiver can be hooked up to it through the route I have described although the 3 connections that I have described are directly above the component video outputs so I suspect that you are right, I am connecting the output from the digibox to the matching output on the Sony, hence no picture.

I was hoping to be able to buy a specific cable that would resolve the problem but it doesn't appear possible.

5. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    If the hitachi has a VGA input, then an alternative to component (better many would say) is to convert the RGB output from the digibox to a VGA signal using another of John Sims' magic boxes (cheaper than the component version), then hook up to the plasma. A second input I know, but trying to channel it all through the component input is going to cost a lot in terms of converters and switchers.

6. ngk2112

ngk2112
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, Philip.

Does that imply that even if I use the correct lead(s) from the Scart connector on the Digibox to the back of the DAV S550, I still won't receive any Sky output on the plasma ?
    ie; I can't channel Digibox output through the DAV to the plasma ?

7. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Hi,

Philip,
    I don't believe the Hitachi can take the output from a JS Tech RGB to VGA converter - unsupported frequency I think.

ngk2112,
    I think your best bet would be to use an RGB to S-video converter output to your plasma, presuming your Grundig isn't one of the models that can output S-video. The audio could be routed to the Sony for amplification and de-coding. Hope this helps.

Steve

8. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Dutch's idea is probably the best combination of quality and efficiency.

Still think it might be most cost effective though to ditch the Grundig and spend some money on a Netgem digibox. The Scart can be configured for composite, s-video, RGB or component. Start off by using the s-video to the Hitachi as Dutch suggests at only the cost of a scart to s-video lead, maybe upgrade later to the component out if and when you can afford it.