sky through a pj

reevesy

Distinguished Member
hi,
was wondering what sort of picture quality i could expect if i run a digi box through my themescene H30 pj using a rgb to comp.converter?
anyone using similiar?

MacReady

reevesy said:
hi,
was wondering what sort of picture quality i could expect if i run a digi box through my themescene H30 pj using a rgb to comp.converter?
anyone using similiar?
I run Sky+ through my Yamaha amp via S-Video and then out through a JS Tech RGB/YUV converter to a Sanyo Z2 projector.

The picture is watchable on most channels but on some the blocking that occurs looks really bad on an eight foot screen :(

My kids still love to watch the kids channels on it and the movie channels look pretty good along with some news channels and Discovery.

It all depends on the channel really. When you blow SD Sky up to a large size it shows just how bad it can get on some of the channels but I still find most are watchable.

reevesy

Distinguished Member
thanks for that macready..using a 5ft screen myself but was concerned about blocking.
i'm thinking of either going down this road...or getting a dvd recorder and just transferring the odd progamme/music stuff onto a rewriteable but again dont know how this will transfer to the big screen.

Knyght_byte

i put sky by s-video in to my surround amp which upconverts to component....comes out as a 576i signal......if the signal quality from the dish is good then most programs appear very nicely (on an 86in screen) altho obviously not DVD quality...lol...normal TV shows like quizes etc tend to suffer the most from horizontal lines sometimes if its obviously been cheaply recorded, shows like sports tend to suffer blocking more than anything if things are not good, but things like Voyager tend to come out the best....its more than watchable in most cases, only on some occasions does it suffer, usually if the signal quality from the dish isnt perfect....

B

Bugblatter

I plug my ntl box into my DVD recorder (Panasonic DMR-E500H) via RGB scart. The recorder outputs component, which I plug into the pj.

It seems to do a pretty good job, especially if I get the recorder to handle the de-interlacing.

The picture quality is very variable though, and I find that studio stuff looks much better than dramas and films.

To be honest if your Sky box can output S-Video I'd probably use that :)

reevesy

Distinguished Member
yeah i've got to sort my sky out (which i left for now as i thought i might be moving)
the signal strength and quality bar on picture settings is showing less than half,which doesn't seem to effecting the telly so much,except for itv channels but will obviously effect a big picture.

Major Payn

Standard Member
Would anybody here be able to post pictures of there projector viewing a digibox of some sort? Sky or NTL would be great, cheers.

MikeD

Standard Member
I run Sky to my H30 using the supplied RGB adaptor connected to a 10m SVGA cable and I find the picture quality can range from excellent to dismal.
BBC1 & 2, ITV1, Ch4 & 5, sky one, the other major channels and all of the movie channels usually look very good but the lower bandwidth channels can give variable results ranging from very good to mediocre.
In general though I would recommend Sky for the H30.

Trending threads

Top Bottom