Sky + Thomson 160 fan always on

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by rockyglw, Apr 6, 2005.

1. rockyglw

rockyglw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have just had a Sky+ Thomson 160 box installed. However although I am very pleased with the box in terms of PQ, the only thing that bothers me is the fan noise. It is in a beroom that is very quiet. Although the noise is not excessive it is annoying. Is the fan it supposed be on all the time in this box.? Is it possible to replace the fan with a quieter one?, eg with a temperature control . The box has plenty of ventilation and seems to run very cool. Does anyone know what size the fan is in the 160 box and which replacement would be suitable.
    Thanks in advance

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    I don't know about the Thomson but a constant running fan is normal for a SKY+ after it has been first installed, power reboot seems to settle it down.

Not done it myself but a few users have added fanmate type devices to control the voltage and therefore the rpm of the fan in an attempt to reduce the noise. A search of the forum may turn up some results.