Sky Third Party Retailers - What a Con!

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by krupatel, Dec 31, 2004.

1. krupatel

krupatel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi there,

Am I the only person who thinks third party retailers who are licensed to install Sky in flats that use a communal dish are robbing us blind?!

1. 'Paid to plug in to the wall'.... I have had to pay £60 to my provider - Smart House UK Ltd to install a standard digibox in my flat. All they are doing is plugging the box in to the already provided wall socket and activating the card with Sky ( I know this 'coz a neighbour bought his own digibox and got a card from Sky and did it himself).

2. 'Administration is so so costly'.....The retailer sent me a standard Sky contract which I filled out and sent back to them with my cheque. Quite obviously it's very costly to for them to forward the form onto Sky. Even then Sky had to re-send me a new contract form to fill out because the one my retailer had sent was out dated with old price plans.

3. 'Everything has a price'.....I can't take advantage of the Sky deals or promotions that are on offer i.e. free install and digibox or sky+ for £99 and 3 months half price viewing. My retailer charges me full wack with no discounts, and Sky themselves won't touch my install 'coz it's contracted to Smart House UK.

4. 'unhelpful customer support desk'....incompetent "I cannot help you, but will get someone to call you back (do they !)" staff who on more than one occasion admitted to just be walking past the phone and thought they'd pick it up.

Arrrgghhhhhh - all I want is Sky at a reasonable price!

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    From reading the posts of people living in buildings with a communal system there does seem to be a common thread on the high costs involved. However since the communal hardware belongs to them and they would have a contract with the building owner they are free to charge whatever the market will support especially for anything other than a single dish connection.
    While I am not going to stick up for individual companies the cost of gaining access to the communal system also covers the full maintenance and upgrading of the system as and when needed. As a tenant or owner of a flat in such a building the constraints if installing dishes and laying cables yourself has to be considered when moving in although of course SKY would probably have been the furthest thing from your mind at the time:)

3. pamrleader

pamrleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same problem. I was told that if I want Sky in my flat the contractors have to come round and connect it up which will cost £139 + £5 a month maintenance fee.
    The funny thing is, 2 weeks before we moved in, the guy who was living there had Sky. We could get our own Digibox and plug it into the socket, and subscribe to Sky, but if the contractors find out, they can *apparently* cut us off.

Its all a rip-off.

We now have Freeview and Top Up TV. Much cheaper option which includes two channels I watch the most: E4 and UK Gold.