Sky+ & the need for a phone line

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by David A, Aug 4, 2003.

1. David A

David A

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Moving house soon and want to get sky+ although I won't need a fixed landline - I'll have adsl or bb for internet and a mobile for phone calls. Couple of questions:

1. Does sky or sky + need a phone line to install and work on in the future?

2. Whats the best deal for a fresh install of sky + (i have sky currently but will leave the dish in the old house!!

Cheers

Dave

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I think you need the phone line for ordering from Sky Box Office. Even if you no intention of doing so I believe that Sky will insist that the box is connected to a phone line for the first 12 months and will, occassionally, check to make sure that it is.

HTH

John

3. APC

APC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The engineer who came to fit ours last week made a big song and dance of the phone line. Said they were under strict instructions not to fit Sky Plus without a working phone line.

Nothing to do with functionality (apart from Box Office and their crappy interactive "services"). All to do with monitoring of usage/marketing data. The contract is unbelievable in its vagueness on this. :thumbsdow

4. savage

savage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep totally agree with APC .

I didn`t mind my Sky + connected but didn`t want my extra box connected as well in the other room he moaned on for ages then the other guy said as ive had it for well over a year it would be ok .

so I left Sky + connected and left the other box this was fine for about a year then I got a letter complaining that both should be connected .

I took no notice but got another letter recently its so annoying . :mad:

5. gilesm

gilesm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    David

Had Sky + for about 18 months now, and for the last 10 months or so it hasn't been connected to a phone line. We swapped our lounge round and got fed up with having a phone extension draped round the room, so took it out. ( One of my DIY jobs to replace it - it's just too sunny at the moment :cool: ). I've had no complaints yet from Sky and everything except interactive and box office work (which I don't use anyway). Even put my new card in the other day expecting to have to connect it up but scanned in the channels quite happilly.

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

The phone requirment for the "mirror" subscription is specific though, you are obliged to have a both boxes connected to the same phone line for the duration of your subscriptions.
    Unless you comply with the warnings SKY will bill you full price for the second subscription.

7. David A

David A

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers do I need a landline for the installation? or is it only for box office and interactive - btw its a new / fresh installation

Dave

8. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

SKY+ requires a phone connection under the T&C's if bought from and installed by SKY, however it does not need the phone connection for it's operational use.
    The T&C's of the SKY+ service state that SKY can collect viewing data although I am not aware of this ever being implemented, their insistance of a phone connection would be the only way to ensure this procedure could work if they wanted to use it.

In reference to your opening post, correct me if I am worng but if you choose to have ADSL that be default means you must have a BT landline unlike a Cable Modem which doesn't use a copper phone line but has a dedicated fibre optic cable.

9. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I assume that software updates come through the dish rather than the phone line???

10. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Yes, both OS updates and EPG listings are via the dish in exactly the same manner as the standard digibox.

11. David A

David A

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I may get ADSL may get BB - not sure yet.

If I do go the ADSL route - do I need to pay for a landline? Or just have the installation exist?

What I'm basically trying to avoid is the need to pay £10 a month for a line that is only used by the sky box - and then never really used!

Dave

12. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    The ADSL broadband service is carried on a conventional copper phone line therefore you need to be a BT customer and pay a monthly rental for the phone line regardless if you use it for voice calls or not. So on top of any ISP charge for the ADSL service you will also have to pay a BT line rental charge.

It would indeed be a waste of money to pay for a phone line just to qualify for a SKY+ install when the SKY+ does not need a phone connection to operate.
    T&C's are a little vague as previously mentioned but if you purchase SKY+ and install it yourself via an independent then a phone connection is not required. At least that's how I interpret the clause :)

13. mwltuk

mwltuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I may...... (but you probably have it covered)

Don't forget a software or hardware firewall for your ADSL and some form of software multi-trackware detection and removal utility that will comprehensively scan your memory, registry, hard, removable and optical drives for known Datamining, aggressive advertising, Parasites, Scumware, Keyloggers, selected traditional Trojans, Dialers, Malware, Browser hijackers, and tracking components.

14. savage

savage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah I know your right mate I was just moaning about it as to me its pointless . I don`t buy anything from Sky and even if i did it would be on the main TV .

15. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

The phone requirment for the mirror subscription is not for buying/selling, it's a security system to prevent subscribers selling on the "cheap" second card.
    For the vast majority of subscribers it's an insult and just another condition that isn't needed and means more initial expense if you don't have a convienent phone sockert.
    However SKY got burnt badly with piracy on their ananlogue service and simply put don't trust anyone:)

A work college has the mirror subscription and his primary digibox when connected to the phone line has just started to play up.
    In all other ways the digibox is working fine so why pay anything to SKY for a call out just to satisfy a condition whose existence is irrelevant since both boxes are used in his home.
    He is awaiting the warnign letter and does not intend to do anything until then and if push comes to shove he will cancel the mirror sub rather than pay to fix a digbox with a dodgy phone connection.

16. savage

savage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes I am doing the same as your collegue .

Theres no way im connecting the second line to my phone its obviously in a different room and ive enough wires everywhere and I don`t want another phone socket for my tv thats crazy .

Already BB is connected ect and Im fine about connecting Sky+ to the phone ,
    but as soon as they send there final letter or whatever im going to cancel the mirror sub.

cheers for your info again Starburst

17. Tony_Cook

Tony_Cook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If phone wires are a problem then Maplin do a box of tricks that turns an ordinary phone into a wirlesss phone.
    Product code:A54AT
    Desc:Wireless Phone Line Extender

A bit steep at £100 - ouch, but could save on nasty wires and decorating.
    disclaimer:I've only seen this on their site, not tried it in real life.

18. Andrew_B

Andrew_B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I got all those moaning letters from Sky about having the mirror subscription box connected to the same line as the Sky+ box and ignored them. When it got to the total utter final warning, I rang them up to argue the point. I said that if they wanted me to 'prove' the card was active in the same house I could temporarily connect the digibox with an extension lead, but they insisted it should be permanently connected. The bee-atch actually switched off the mirror subscription while I was still on the phone! Now I've got an ugly extension lead running through the bedroom to the phone socket :(

19. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +410
    If you just periodically (say once a month) hook the additional box up to the phone line, force a reboot it will then dial back to sky and the main computer will acknowledge its existance and stop sending you letters ...

20. David A

David A

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In addition guys and gals, I'm moving next week when the install is scheduled for and I'm not sure if NTL will have done the business with the phone line before the SKY+ guy turns up.

Will I have a problem with the install if there isn't a phone line working at that point? - though there will be in the future.

As an example could they install if there was a fault with the phones the day they came to install?

Dave