Sky & Terrestrial Channels

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by scrapbook, Oct 19, 2005.

1. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Ok this may be a bit of a dumb question............but can I obtain Channel's 1 to 5 in a non digital format as such complete with good ole fashioned teletext?

I have just moved from NTL and I am missing a teletext flick!

2. Heinz

Heinz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Forget Sky. What you need is analogue terrestrial reception via a good old-fashioned aerial.

3. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi scrapbook,

My husband, whilst we are watching Sky, flicks to terrestial channels to watch teletext, usually for Sport or weather. He sometimes will watch a cricket match on teletext waiting minute upon minute to see another run scored!

With our current tv, when watching Sky and wanting to see analogue teletext, we use the tv remote; just press the desired channel 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and then the teletext button, as you would if you didn't have satellite. We can't obtain channel 5 in East Sussex. We also did this with our previous television, it only takes a second.

I have never tried to use the tv button on the Sky remote but that would probably work in the same way except you may have to use the television remote to press the teletext button.

Enjoy your teletext flick!

4. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    Hiya Cynthia,

Out of interest how is your sky box connected to the TV? Is it by scart or by normal aerial lead?

If i flick to BBC 1 on the TV there is just static!

5. Bluevanman

Bluevanman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Providing you still have an aeriel connection, and the RF output of the Sky box is tuned well away from the terrestrial channels there is no problem. connect your TV to the aeriel, and tune it in( most sets these days have auto tune), then go to a spare channel on your TV,ie 6, and tune it in until it picks up the Sky picture. Go to Sky, press services,4,1. and turn scart control OFF.Go to save and press select. You should then be able to select whichever channel you want without Sky overriding.

6. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,032
    To make it clear - to get "old style" teletext, you need a traditional aerial, connected (directly, or via the passthrough of a set top box, etc) to the aerial inlet on the TV. "Just static" suggests that you do not have this. Used in this way, the $ky box is not contributing to the process; the aerial and the TV are doing the work.

7. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527

OK i thought that would be the case. I used to to get the "old style" teletext via my NTL box so I thought maybe sky would do something similar.

Luckily I have an aerial wall socket 2m or so from the TV that I can connect up, it just would have been easier to run a 0.5m cable from the box to the tv. Still it's not to be!

8. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi scrapbook,

I assumed you had a terrestial aerial plugged into the aerial socket on your television, as we have and a scart lead from tv to Sky box.

Just wondering if this is related to your BBC1 problem. Sometimes if we press 1 on our tv remote, we get Sky instead of BBC1. It can be infuriating as if Sky is playing up and we want to see terrestial, we canot access BBC1. This only happens sometimes. Perhaps I should tune BBC1 or Sky to another number. I have stuck to the channels selected by automatic tuning.

9. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

The NTL STB would have been passing through the analogue channels from the NTL feed, the teletext decoder in the TV would then be able to extract the data required.
    I would assume when analogue is shutdown on the NTL network then teletext will only be available via it's digital incarnation.

10. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

If the TV tuner channel 1 is tuned to the RF output frequency of the SKY box then you will get the channel that it is currently being watched.
    The auto tuning on the TV may have only found the SKY RF channel, did you have an aerial connected directly to the TV or via the digibox so that the TV tuner could find all the analogue frequencies and the SKY frequency?

11. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Starburst,

Thank you for replying to my problem of BBC1 and Sky and explaining everything so clearly. I have only just seen your answer a month later! The terrestial aerial is connected directly into the television. I just did auto tuning on my Philips PW9618 now eighteen months old, and we normally watch Sky except for the teletext on analogue. Since Sky's wretched update we can only record one programme so we watch analogue quite a bit now and I couldn't understand that sometimes we could only get Sky on BBC1, quite infuriating. I tried retuning the television but it ended up the same. I know you are an expert on these matters, which I definitely am not!

Does this mean I should connect my aerial to the Sky box? I would be grateful to know the right way instead of my normal trial and error method!!!

12. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    I'm no expert but some things can only work one way and when you know the answer and tell someone who doesn't then it just makes you look good even when most of the answers you have were learnt from others:)

I don't think you need to connect the aerial to the SKY+ then onto the TV but you could try it and then let the TV autoscan, with the SKY+ on it should assign a TV channel number to the RF output of the SKY+ as well as the normal terrestrial channels.

With SKY+ connected via RGB scart(?) then perhaps the TV gets confused when switching between it's internal tuner and the AV input, there should be a specific A/V button on the TV remote, next time you have problems press that and it may free up the channel selection.

Worth a shot anyway:)

13. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Starburst,

You are too modest. Thank you very much for replying. To get to the analogue channels I just press 1 (BBC1, 2 (BBC2) 3 (ITV Meridian) 4 on the TV remote(very poor reception on Channel 4 as aerial is too old). Channel 5 we can't get either. Then to get back to Sky I use the tv remote and press the source button which is on TV, it then goes to Ext.1 Other, Ext.2 is Digital STB connected via Scart.

I shall certainly carry out your suggestions this weekend. At the moment we have kitchen installers changing the whole kitchen, rewiring, replumbing, floor needed part renewing due to rats biting the water main pipe a few years ago and the flood had rotted some of it. We are living in chaos! By Friday it should all be complete and I can sit quietly and hopefully have a designated channel for BBC1 and Sky!

I'm grateful for your advice, your suggestions certainly sound feasible to me. I'll let you know what transpires.