Sky & teletext

7ran

Novice Member
Reaction score
just got a new Samsung with no rgb (thin slot) conector, old Samsung had a converter of scart to rgb which worked when hitting text on RACINGUK only (all it gets used for).
How can I replicate this on this new TV UEXXJU7000?
Currently only getting "not available"
Really appreciate some advice - guessing I need to buy some special cable?
TIA

You will need a Scart to Composite converter so you can connect to the Composite (AV1) input which is either a separate socket or the Y input of Component inputs depending on which JU7000 model you have. The JU7000's lack any kind of analogue RGB input.

Currently only getting "not available"

Which suggests you already have your Sky box connected to the Tv.
What type of Sky box do you have?, standard Sky, Sky+ or Sky+HD? and how is it connected?

Which suggests you already have your Sky box connected to the Tv.
What type of Sky box do you have?, standard Sky, Sky+ or Sky+HD? and how is it connected?
Sky+ hd... Normal one a few years old now
Thanks

Sky+ hd... Normal one a few years old now
Thanks

Why not connect by HDMI?
When you say you're getting "not available"...when you try text, what button are you pressing and on which remote, the TV's or the Sky remote?

Last edited:
Why not connect by HDMI?
When you say you're getting "not available"...when you try text, what button are you pressing and on which remote, the TV's or the Sky remote?
Because I need teletext when on channel 432.
But when hitting text all I get is not available
Both on sky and tv remote

This doesn't make sense.
If the channel has text you get it and connections are irrelevant.

This doesn't make sense.
If the channel has text you get it and connections are irrelevant.
this is driving me / us mad..
I'm here now with the tv on and I've tried a number of combinations...
I've even gone and purchased a scart to av/phono splitter which gets me a real poor picture and still no text
its amazing how this worked on the old tv, and i can see me returning the new TV and just going back to the old which is a real shame.
I've never understood this setup, maybe I'm missing a real simple trick?

have just stripped out all the ariel cables and just running HDMI - no text
I'm sure you need the ariel in to pick up the text signal right? as teletext doesn't travel via HDMI - think I'm right on this
so where do i go now?

have just stripped out all the ariel cables and just running HDMI - no text
I'm sure you need the ariel in to pick up the text signal right? as teletext doesn't travel via HDMI - think I'm right on this

No, with respect, you're not "right on this"
Channel 432 is a Sky channel and the type of connection from your Sky box to the Tv has absolutely no bearing on it's ability to use Sky Teletext.
You also do not need a terrestrial aerial connected to the Tv if you want to use Teletext on Sky.
Connect your Sky+HD to the Tv by HDMI lead, select whatever AV input on your Tv you've connected it to e.g. HDMI1
Press the Sky button on the Sky remote then select e.g. BBC1 (101) now press the text button ON THE SKY REMOTE CONTROL (not the Tv remote control) and on the bottom RHS of the picture you should see a "Text, please wait" message followed by "loading" then teletext on the RHS of the picture.
The "text" button on your new (and old Tv) is for teletext on Terrestrial Tv.

No, with respect, you're not "right on this"
Channel 432 is a Sky channel and the type of connection from your Sky box to the Tv has absolutely no bearing on it's ability to use Sky Teletext.
You also do not need a terrestrial aerial connected to the Tv if you want to use Teletext on Sky.
Connect your Sky+HD to the Tv by HDMI lead, select whatever AV input on your Tv you've connected it to e.g. HDMI1
Press the Sky button on the Sky remote then select e.g. BBC1 (101) now press the text button ON THE SKY REMOTE CONTROL (not the Tv remote control) and on the bottom RHS of the picture you should see a "Text, please wait" message followed by "loading" then teletext on the RHS of the picture.
thanks JayCee - as you mention above this is how my mind is thinking...
this is the service i need to get to; as you can see its old fashioned text, not a new style?
assume this makes a difference, no?
TIA

now press the text button ON THE SKY REMOTE CONTROL (not the Tv remote control) and on the bottom RHS of the picture you should see a "Text, please wait" message followed by "loading" then teletext on the RHS of the picture.

No, text on the Sky remote is for digital text, he needs to use the text button on his TV to access the analogue text service he wants from Racing UK.

Perhaps the TV doesn't support analogue text?

FWIW this is the service I'm looking to get
That DOES make sense!

How did you connect the Scart splitter?

No, text on the Sky remote is for digital text, he needs to use the text button on his TV to access the analogue text service he wants from Racing UK.

Isn't the Racing UK service available on digital text on CH432...I'm not into sport so can't check on Sky.

Perhaps the TV doesn't support analogue text?

It does according to the user manual.

Last edited:
Conventional teletext will not work through a HDMI lead. If your Sky box has RF out connections, try tunning it in via analogue tunning on your tv perhaps. (Using an old fashioned coax video lead)

That DOES make sense!

How did you connect the Scart splitter?
start back of sky box and then splitter into the Y connector that goes into the side of the tv that looks like a headphone jack - i took a picture

24002382206_1eab443d82_k.jpg

23920279122_8d0af8f19a_k.jpg

no digital or analogue text is working as i type
glad you guys are chipping in to try and solve, real bug bearer

If your Sky box has RF out connections, try tunning it in via analogue tunning on your tv perhaps.

This, the picture will suck but the text should work...

I've checked RacingUK text service on a Dreambox and it's up and running ok.

Or you can start looking for alternative sources of info. :D

I don't see a Scart splitter in the picture.
The TV in the second picture is the same as mine which does have an aerial input.
Connect directly from Sky RF Out to TV Air/Cable without the splitter.
Then change the TV to aerial input and run the tuning.

Hi, just come across this thread which I found interesting as I thought that there was no more teletext in the UK after the BBC turned off Ceefax. But I've just checked and indeed it is there. It's not analogue text by the way, all teletext is digital. The correct name is world service teletext (WST) and it is alive and well in much or Europe on terrestrial and satellite. Some digital boxes have built in teletext decoders but not Sky boxes. HDMI does not pass teletext so the only way to view it is via the TV's teletext decoder either composite in or aerial in. Run a lead from the yellow socket on the Sky box to the yellow video in socket on the TV. Either way you need to select either the correct AV in or aerial in on the TV before you select teletext. It is just possible that though your new set has a teletext decoder it may only work via aerial in. Just a thought

Curiously, the Irish national broadcaster, RTE, is still using the old fashioned teletext on their SD versions on the Sky platform. It can still be accessed, even with the encrypted channels. They call it 'Aertel'.

If anyone would like to try it, it can be tuned in on a sky box via Services and Other Channels using -
Frequency 12266
POL H
Symbol Rate 27500
FEC 5/6

It won't work with a HDMI lead of course.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom