Sky telephone line connection

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by robbo20, Oct 1, 2005.

1. robbo20

robbo20
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

I've had sky installed for a number of years and take all the channels. When it was installed the telephone socket was some way away from the box and the engineer just left it connected via a very long extension cable laid out across the carpet. I very soon unplugged this and have never had my box connected to the telephone.

Now my aunt is looking to have sky installed (just the basic packages) and she will have the same problem but I've read on here how sky 'pings' your box to call sky and if it can't connect, sky will regard this as a breach of contract.

Can anyone tell me is this rule strictly applied or can anyone assure me that the engineers have become better at connecting to the telephone line?

2. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,688
    Sky only really police the phone lines of multi room subscribers rigorously (as I am probably soon to find out , modem in my + box has failed ) . However , it is part of the conditions of having a subsidised box and installation and I don't think an installer will install the box unless he can plug in the phone line

John

3. nick270881

nick270881

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    If it is just a standard sky box then it is not policed strictly, but be aware that sky will check after 7 days to make sure it is connected!

How this would affect you i dont know but if it is not then the installer will be asked why by his superiors, so any SKY installers will or should insist on it being connected by themselves!

I have walked away from quite a few installs because they wont let me connect a phone line, only to return in a few days to run them one because there is no other way, and when they see how neatly a phone line CAN be run they never mind!

4. robbo20

robbo20
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Nick,

Just had to reply because if 27/08 is your birthday then it's the same as mine, except I'm a lot older. How spooky is that? (my son's name is Nick as well!)

5. dupontin

dupontin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was told the reason behind the phone line is to make sure the box is installed where it says on the contract.
    This is much more important to sky when you have two boxes, (I have 2 SKY+) People quite often take the second box to their holiday home here or overseas, and Sky's Belief is that you should take out a second subscription
    Also it's easy for someone to buy a second box and give it to a friend (it's only £10 per month extra for a second box.

After the first year if you only have 1 box then as far as I've been told you can disconnect the phone line
    Can anyone confirm all this ?

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Basically, yes. Although I think that the interactive services subsidise all Sky boxes, and Sky have a contractual commitment to the suppliers on there to ensure all subsidised boxes are connected for the first 12 months. However, for the reasons you've already given, they give multi-room a much higher priority.