1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky telephone connection

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by san_marco, Aug 16, 2005.

1. san_marco

san_marco
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does sky need a telephone connection? what happens when you disconnect the box from the telephone line? Does it still work?

2. ad47uk

ad47uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Sky will work without the phone connection, you only need the connection if you waqnt to go online for any reason. You need to go online if you want to do shopping or if you want to watch a film or some sport using Skybox office system, but you can phone them up to order it, I think that cost a bit more.

But, if you want the free box, then it is in your contract to keep the box connected to yous phone line. If you buy a box and have the dish fitted by someone else, then you do hnot have to keep the phone connected.

My phone was disconneted from the box a couple of weeks after it was fitted, I have had no letters yet.

3. HSC

HSC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    i've had letters in the past - and got to the point of them charging me extra before I was bothered enough to do something about it....

4. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    The box works fine (though you cant use some interactive aspects - like voting on Big Brother - or do things like ordering films)

If you signed up with Sky and had them come out and fit the equipment either for free or a nominal fee then you will have signed (either physically, electronically or verbally) a 12 month contract saying you will keep the box connected to the phoneline.

If you were to disconnect it you would technically be in breach of your contract which would allow sky to (1) charge you the full price of the equipment and installation (for sky+ this is about £260) (2) charge you up front for the remainder of the subscriptions at your current rate to the end of the contract (3) cut off your service.

Whilst Sky dont appear to currently enforce this very rigorously (and when they do you normally get a few letters before they take any real action) this could change and would not be required to send any warnings.

After the 12 month contract is up or if you bought and had the system installed independantly of Sky then you are under no obligation to have the phone connection plugged in.

At the end of the day the choice is yours but I have never seen any benefit for not having it correctly plugged in.

5. PiGH

PiGH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I bought Sky+ Multiroom on saturday (2 sky+ boxes) direct from Sky and the engineer is supposdely coming out this Friday. I have some questions, it says I need a phone line for both Sky+ boxes.

I'm assuming this means I need 2 extra sockets, I have 2 at the moment (thats used for my actual phone and internet.) Am I correct in thinking that the engineer will need to install 2 extra sockets for the 2 boxes?

Do any of you also know if this will cost me extra? I get free standard installation, although im not sure if this is covered under "standard". I read under their T+C that standard means the box and dish are something like no more than 1 room apart from each other. It does not mention anything about installing extra phone sockets.

I'm just wondering if it'd be cheaper for me to actually install the phone sockets, or wait for them to do it (and possibly charge me extra).

Any help appreciated! :thumbsup:

6. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    AFAIK, the engineer will not install additional phone sockets for you all they are likely to do is run a cable from the Sky box to the nearest phone socket.

If one isn't available Im not sure what they'll do as the phone connection is mandatory with multiroom.

I installed my own prior to my Sky installation.

John

7. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    You should get a letter from Sky telling you what the Sky engineer will and will not fit, and the cost of any "extras". As far as I'm aware, the engineer will run a cable up to 10 metres to the nearest socket. Above this, and it's charged per metre. All outlined in the letter.