1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ telephone connection

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by madcyril, Jul 31, 2005.

1. madcyril

madcyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Can anyone tell me the benefit of having Sky+ connected to a telephone line,apart from the premium services.The installer told me the recording would not work properly without it connected.I disconnected mine immediately and had no problems.

Just curious,cheers.

2. andyww14

andyww14

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mine is disconnected and is working fine as well.

Somebody did say they sky only enforce the phone line rule if you use multiroom, whether that is true I don't know.

3. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    Well it is definitly true on the multi room thing....I had my second box disconected for a while and got a letter within weeks to say they would charge me for two full subscriptions unless it was reconnected :(

4. nick270881

nick270881

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    The benefits are a hassle free time from sky!
    You have signed a contract with sky saying that you will have it connected to your phone line for a minimum of 12 months, If they try to contact the box (and believe me they will) and it isn't connected they are well within their rights to charge you for the recording (if they dont already), stop your recording facility or whatever they see fit to do! personally i dont see the problem people have with the phone connection, if you dont want it connected, dont have the sky its your choice!!

5. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I think you're going a little OTT there :) After 12 months you can do whatever you want on a single-box installation. The only change you'll notice is that you won't be able to order PPV events any more. On a multi-room installation it's a different story, when you have to have both boxes connected to the same phone line to make sure you havent sold the second box and card on Ebay :)

6. ad47uk

ad47uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have not got Sky+, but I have got a Sky box, my telphone line was disconnected from the box, about two days after it was installed and have heard nothing. I was having the house rewired, and I moved the box out of the way and when I put it back, I forgot to conne3ct the phone line. since it was a pain in the bum to get the box out again, I left it.

A neighbour have got a Sky+ box and got rid of the cable as soon as the installer walked out of the door, again nothing been said.

Multirooms is certainly what sky concentrate on, but that is so you do not give one box to someone else and still pay the multiroom price. I know someone who done that, with a next door neighbour, but since the phone cable was still connected via a very long extension lead, Sky did not know any different.

7. BDCSTENG GARETH

BDCSTENG GARETH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hijacking this post slighlty...

What If, as I do with my 2nd box, I turn everything off in my bedroom when I go to work (for example). If sky try and stuff me, starting with a letter... Will this wash? My sky+ is on all the time ( for recordings etc.), but my 2nd multiroom box, is off at the plug, for all but about 5 hrs a week.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Cheers,

Gareth.

8. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    need to read the contract - if you have had the box/ installation subsidised at all then you are in a 12 month contract and you certainly have a clause that it must be in the phone line and I believe it has to have power too but read your contract

9. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I really do have to ask-what is the big issue with having it connected??!! Everyone who orders Sky knows the deal,why are you all so against it? The box isn't going to dial out and hit you with big phone bills! I just don't get the issue here.........

10. BDCSTENG GARETH

BDCSTENG GARETH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I agree,

when the question of where SKY draws the line on how they deturmin if you have it there and connected... Thats the bit that worries me! :eek:

I used to not connect my system out of pure non-conformation! :devil:

11. madcyril

madcyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    No issues.like I said just curious.When I had the analogue box installed a few years back there was no phone socket so to satisfy the installer I had an phone extension across the living room floor but when he left I disconnected it again.Never had a problem.Now have Sky+,phone is not connected,still no problems.

12. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    At the end of the day you can choose not to have it connected and simply accept that you may have to 'repay' the subsidy(sp) that Sky gave you, have to pay to contract end and have your service cut. If you prefer to have this 'risk' rather than having your box connected to a phone line then the choice is yours.

13. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    There are two main issues.

1. It uses power all the time it's connected to the mains. This may not seem like much but it probably adds up to £30 a year per piece of equipment. And it adds millions of pounds to the country's energy bill each year. Anyone care about Global Warming?

2. The safety aspect. If you ask your local fire brigade whether you should switch everything off at the mains when you go out, you know what they'll say. In addition, the worst cause of problems is lightning-induced surges down the phone lines so these should be disconnected when not in use.

14. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    £30 a year? Are you having a laugh!!! Standby uses next to nothing in power,granted if everyone turned their equipment off then this would make a difference to power consumption but i bet the spikes the national grid would get when everyone got in from work would render the network useless!The only valid point IMO is phone line spikes from lightening-this is the ONLY time i would recommend disconnecting the equipment from the phone line.

15. BDCSTENG GARETH

BDCSTENG GARETH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8

16. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I think your numbers are rather over-estimated. The major power consumers in a house are fridges, freezers and anything with a heating element in it. An upright freezer uses twice as much power than a chest freezer if they are frequently opened. You have omitted the price of repairs to your boxes, since most faults in AV equipment occur at the moment power is applied - so the more often you apply power, the more risk of a breakdown.

Regarding the fire risk - the majority of electrical fires in houses are caused by faulty wiring, so unless you switch everything off at the meter (and cause your freezer to defrost), you will still have a fire risk. All electronic equipment contains safety components which make the risk of a big fire quite remote. Sky boxes are constructed in a steel case, which means that the risk of fire spreading out from one is quite small. Also, these sort of problems will be covered by your house insurance.

17. madcyril

madcyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Still does not answer why Sky insist it is connected.Whats their gain.

18. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    To offer you interatcive services!! That's how they hope to make some money.