1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sky+ & telephone connection

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by joolz1604, Feb 1, 2005.

1. joolz1604

joolz1604

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi, i heard from a friend that u cannot unplug the telephone connection from your sky+ box. If you do u loose signal & have to contact sky. is this true? i am thinking of upgrading & like to unplug the telephone connection when on holiday. cheers :) joolz.

2. Judders

Judders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not true. Mine operates perfectly without the telephone connected. In fact, since I rearranged my front room, it's never been connected. That was 3 months ago! I do know that from time to time Sky upgrade the software via the phone connection, so I may be missing out there. But I'm sure you'll have no problems at all if you just disconnect whilst you're on holiday. :)

3. Vection

Vection
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not true, My sky plus has been unplugged for several months and works fine. I think the software upgrades are done via the phone line but if your only unplugging for a few weeks I shouldn't think it will be a problem.

(judders beat me to it)

4. joolz1604

joolz1604

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the quick replies!,,, guess he must have had a problem with his sky+ box then. his brother still remains too frightened to unplug phone connection!!
    thanks again : )

5. Too Tall

Too Tall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've had Sky+ since day one (Over 3.5 years now). And haven't had the phone connected for over 2 years. My box has all the latest software/EPG versions. I wasn't aware that they did upgrades over the phone line. But as I say, mine has the lastest versions so I'm not worried.

6. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sky insist you keep the box connected for the first 12 months of viewing and can cut off your viewing if they ask the box to contact them and get no reply. after this time you have no obligation to keep it connected, so if unless you are taking out a new contract with them when you upgrade (like a no cancel within 12 months dealy) then it's your choice. I haven't had my box connected to the phone for 3 years.

7. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Software updates are done via the dish rather than the phone line.

As long as you are outside the 12 months initial contract and don't have multiroom (if you have multiroom, both boxes have to be connected at all times) then you don't need to have the phone line connected unless you want to book something on box office via the box.

John

8. joolz1604

joolz1604

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can u tell me why both boxes have to be conected if u have multiroom? thnx

9. Judders

Judders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John,

I don't doubt what you've said, but when I had my 'phone line connected, from time to time, the 'online' light on the front of the decoder would be on for a few minutes. If it wasn't upgrading the software, what was happening? :confused:

Jud

10. Too Tall

Too Tall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    One of it's functions is that if you're still inside your 12 month contact Sky know you still had it plugged in. I heard somewhere it was also sending viewing information but I don't know how true that is.

11. Too Tall

Too Tall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    It's part of the multiroom contact with Sky. Both boxes HAVE to be plugged into the SAME phoneline. It's there way of making sure that you aren't getting a multiroom sub and giving the second card to a friend.

12. Judders

Judders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aha! Thanks Too Tall :thumbsup: You learn something new every day on this forum! :)

13. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Both boxes have to be connected so Sky know that they are in the same house. This is because you are getting the second sub at a discounted price (£10). If they couldn't check to phone connection you could give the card and box to a mate who would then get the same package you get for £10 a month rahter than paying Sky the full price.

John

14. Bluevanman

Bluevanman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The reason for the phone connection is for access to some of the interactive services and so that Sky can read the card once per month to see which Box Office films and events you have seen. This allows them to bill you for them. All software updates are sent via the dish, otherwise out of warranty boxes would never get updated as so many people disconnect the phone line after the initial 12 months. If you are upgrading from a standard box to a Sky+ you are entering into a new 12 month contract and so must agree to having the phone line connected.

15. Jive

Jive

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quick question, I've got Sky+ with the multiroom package, it was installed by a Sky engineer who did the wiring for the telephones. Both boxes were run to existing wall extensions which have ADSL filters fitted to them.

So far we've had two letters from Sky saying that the phone lines aren't connected, this is untrue as I've just checked both boxes and the lines are plugged in, I've also ran the System Setup - System Test and both came back with "Telephone Line Connected".

Has anyone got any ideas why we're recieving these letters or should I just call Sky up and get their engineers out ?

16. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    I would get in touch with SKY right away, before you find the second subscription charged at full price!

Make sure you have both boxes connected to the same phone line (number) and there is no line blocking or redirecting going on. It's one thing for the boxes to detect an active phone connection it's another thing to actually dial out.

17. Jive

Jive

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah thanks for that, I went out for about 20 mins and came back to find my other half on the phone to Sky, turns out to be very simple.

We've an ex directory number so when our boxes call Sky it doesn't recognise the number, so to sort this out you do the following.

Goto Services and then press 401 Select on the remote, this takes you to the hidden setup menu, select Telephone Settings from the menu and on the second line put 1470 and then save settings, make sure your not making another call at the time.

The box will go into callback mode, you'll need to do this on both boxes if you have have the multibox package.

Gonna call Sky in half an hour to make sure it's all been registered :thumbsup:

18. humber

humber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have tried the prefix 1470 but that failed to update. The line is OK and the box dials out OK but after about 30secs it drops the connection.

Any other ideas