1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ System Failure

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by plasmattack, Jan 31, 2003.

1. plasmattack

plasmattack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A search of this forum revealed nothing so I'll ask the question: has anyone with Sky+ ever had the "System Failure" message when trying to record (either live or timed material)?

If so, how was the problem resolved? My limited understanding suggests two potential sources: tuner or hard disk.

My box is throwing these messages at me and an engineer was supposed to have 'phoned by now to arrange an appointment. I've had chuff all in the way of calls, though.

The box is only six weeks old! :mad:

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    It has happened to me a few times in the early days, it hasn't happened for over 12 months now.
    Nothing was done to fix it, it just works O.K.
    Does this happen all the time ?

3. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    The only simple source of this problem I can think of is if one of your connections from the dish to the back of the box has fallen out (happened to me when I moved things around & that was the message I got) - apart from that, it's an engineer I'm afraid :suicide:

4. plasmattack

plasmattack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That ain't it, wilber, I've swapped the LNB feeds around and I still get the picture, I just can't record.

I should ask, is one tuner always used for recording and the other for live reception?

5. plasmattack

plasmattack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In fact, while I think about it, the problem may not lie with the tuner because the signal test I performed revealed the same signal strength and quality on both inputs.

Flashy boxes, eh? :rolleyes:

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Never seen that sort of error message before, it would seem to point to a hardware fault causing the OS to react, have you emailed or phoned PACE tech support directly?

7. sparkz

sparkz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had this message a few months ago after a powercut during a recording. I wasn't able to record or view recordings. I just kept giving this error. You could still watch live programs. I did a reset and it worked fine after that. I also deleted the program I was recording in case that was not being accurately allocated by the system.

8. plasmattack

plasmattack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    System reset did nothing to resolve the problem.

An engineer visited yesterday and swapped the box with a new one. Problem solved. He suspected the hard disk was at fault, which seems like a reasonable preliminary diagnostic stab.