SKY+ SVideo upconverted to component by Denon 3805

jazzytay

Standard Member
Reaction score
Guy's

I recieve my new toy's tommorrow namely Panny PWD8, Denon 3805, Kef 2005.2 speakers and all the cabling needed...(cracking price by those nice people at AV-Sales by the way). :clap:

My question is, I hadn't planned to spend so much on a reciever but talked myself into it (it didn't take much by the way!!) as it gave me the functionality of being able to feed my Sky+ into it via Svideo and have it upconverted to component, which meant that i didn't have to fork out for a JS RGB to YUV converter. I know that SVideo is not as good as RGB but will I notice that much difference that spending another hundered odd quid plus RGB to component cable, would be able to give me.

It will have only cost me a few quid for the SVideo cable so I havent lost anything by trying this way first....have I!!!

Just wondered if anyone else has or had done it this way then went the converted route after, and if so was the difference in picture quality amazing??

Thanks for any replies

Steve

RGB compared to S-Video?

IMO you'd have to be blind not to notice a difference.

I run SKY digibox s-vid->HTPC but also have an RGB SCART feed direct to the TV (if I don't want to watch TV through the media center) and the difference is fairly significant. Don't get me wrong, s-vid isn't *totally* crap but you do lose a lot of the definition and saturation.

Different enough to warrant spending another £100 or so? Not for me, but then I'm a skinflint.

I have Sky+ Svid > Amp (upconversion) > Plasma .

Gives a perfectly acceptable picture . The only thing I would say is that you do lose the ability to set individual picture settings from different sources by switching through an amp , if your TV has that facility of course

John

johnscarlet said:
I have Sky+ Svid > Amp (upconversion) > Plasma .

Gives a perfectly acceptable picture . The only thing I would say is that you do lose the ability to set individual picture settings from different sources by switching through an amp , if your TV has that facility of course

John

jazzytay,

I do the same as described above, the picture is fine. As far as I can remember I didn't think the PQ was significantly better or worse either way.

Going the amp route will save you ££s and cabling but does suffer the limitations mentioned above, although it hasn't been a problem for me so far.

Cheers

Thanks lads

Could save me a few bob as I nearly went the other way. Incedently what 's meant by adjusting different picture settings for different inputs. I wasn't aware that if you configured an input it saved it, I thought that when I set my Plasma up that would be the picture quality for everything if I only have 1 cable running up from my reciever??

Steve

Some screens let you set different picture settings for different inputs, e.g. if you go DVD Component >> Plasma Component and SKY SCART >> Plasma SCART you could have different settings for the component and scart inputs on your screen.

If you route all yor video sources through the amp and use the component output (upconverted or not) to the plasma you will only use one input on the screen and have one set of settings.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom