Sky + surround sound

a l e x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi, looking for some help please. I'm having problems getting 5.1 and sky+ working...

I've got a hdmi from my denon 1912 into the sky box and the optical from sky into the one optical port on my amp. I'm only getting sound via the front two...

Please someone explain what I'm doing wrong!

Thanks

Most programmes are only broadcast in stereo. Press info on the sky box it will say DD in the top right hand corner if its in 5.1, also you need to enable it in the sky menus somewhere...

Programme I'm watching is DD but still out the front two only... :(

Have you set the Digital Audio Out setting on the Sky box to Dolby D?
What programme are you watching?

I'm sure there is a setting in the Denon input menu for the HDMI input you need to change. If you have two sound sources coming from the Sky box to the amp, the HDMI takes precedence over the Optical.

As 5.1 cannot be outputted via HDMI from the Sky box, this will be why you are only getting two channels.

Sorry I can't be more specific r.e what you need to change!

archie2000 said:
Have you set the Digital Audio Out setting on the Sky box to Dolby D?
What programme are you watching?

You may also need to assign your Amp to Optical input (for Audio) for the Sky+ Source, else it may just be taking the HdMi audio regardless of what your Sky+ box is outputting.

I've set sky to Dolby digital, not sure how to set it do it takes optical sound over HDMI?

Front of amp saying stereo too...I'm sure it's an easy fix really...?'

a l e x said:
I've set sky to Dolby digital, not sure how to set it do it takes optical sound over HDMI?

Front of amp saying stereo too...I'm sure it's an easy fix really...?'

The Sky box can't output 5.1 over HDMI, so I think you need to set the Denon to receive picture only over HDMI, then assign the Optical connection for the audio.

Read this, grab your manual, and Assign the Optical audio to your Sky+ Source

Attachments

• image-4178413526.png
    image-4178413526.png
    222.8 KB · Views: 78
Thanks everyone. I've set sky [digital] to OPT which I assume is optical?

As a test I removed the hdmi from sky and still got sound? Suggests the optical is ok?
Still saying Stereo on the amp though...!

a l e x said:

As a test I removed the hdmi from sky and still got sound? Suggests the optical is ok?

Assign your Amp

a l e x said:

It's a setting on the Denon you need to change as per my previous posts. The Denon is using HDMI for audio. You need to disable this to allow the Denon to use the optical connection for the 5.1 signal.

Assign your Amp

It's a setting on the Denon you need to change as per my previous posts. The Denon is using HDMI for audio. You need to disable this to allow the Denon to use the optical connection for the 5.1 signal.

How? Sorry for all the questions, just moved in, have no Internet apart from my phone to search on...

Thanks again.

Sorry mate, I'm not in my lounge! Another easy way to solve this issue is to connect the HDMI from Sky directly to your TV, with the Optical going from Sky to Denon.

This is how I have mine set up. There is not really any need to have both connections going to the amp.

a l e x said:
How? Sorry for all the questions, just moved in, have no Internet apart from my phone to search on...

Thanks again.

I attached the relevant jpg from your manual above. I guess you can't see it hence your continuing questions. P98 of your manual. Best of luck.

Did the op not say in post 11 that he still gets sound when the HDMI is disconnected indicating that the optical connection is working?
What programme are you watching as it may be in stereo and not 5.1 surround sound. Change to a Sky movies channel and see if that makes a difference

Last edited:
This is driving me mad.

I've set Digital to OPT on the assign and i've set it so will play digital sound. I've set it up on sky. The DIG light is on the amp so the connection is good and yet, even though the film I'm watching says DD in the corner it is still playing stereo!!

What on Earth am I missing!

Ah I give up! I'm 99% sure i've done everything the manual tells me to and sky is still stuck on Stereo.

Just to add a little bit more to my annoyance I tried plugging straight into the TV... HDMI from Sky box into HDMI 2 on my TV. Optical from Sky box into the 1912... selected HDMI 2 on my TV for the picture and put the source on the amp to TV and also Sky and guess what... sound but only Stereo. Its Die Hard 4 on the tele, it says its DD!

If anyone has any ideas and can tell me whats going wrong i'd be eternally grateful!

a l e x said:
Ah I give up! I'm 99% sure i've done everything the manual tells me to and sky is still stuck on Stereo.

Just to add a little bit more to my annoyance I tried plugging straight into the TV... HDMI from Sky box into HDMI 2 on my TV. Optical from Sky box into the 1912... selected HDMI 2 on my TV for the picture and put the source on the amp to TV and also Sky and guess what... sound but only Stereo. Its Die Hard 4 on the tele, it says its DD!

If anyone has any ideas and can tell me whats going wrong i'd be eternally grateful!

Have you tried Listening Modes, p44-47 in manual?

Well that seemed to work...! I pushed movie and Dolby PL2 Cinema and it seems to play out all speakers...

Playing all 5 on none DD programmes though...

I can't get my head around this! :(

a l e x said:
Well that seemed to work...! I pushed movie and Dolby PL2 Cinema and it seems to play out all speakers...

Playing all 5 on none DD programmes though...

I can't get my head around this! :(

An AVR receives an audio input, decodes it (like DTS HD MA) into the 5.1 signals, and can then Process these if required (Listening Modes), before Amplifying them.

So when your AVR gets the DD from Sky, it decodes it. If it is 5.1 (as poster said, BBC sometimes send only 2.0), then your AVR now processes it then Amplifies. See attached.

Because your AVR has so many Listening Modes, Denon categorised them into Game, Movies, Music etc. Your job is to tell the AVR what type of content you watching to reduce the number of Listening Modes to just the relevant ones.

So if watching X Factor, pressing Music will cycle through these Listening Modes, but only include those suitable for Music.

Likewise Movies.

THX are Listening Modes. I prefer Straight Decode and no ListeningMode processing, ie DTS HD MA as it comes.

Attachments

• image-4196313165.png
    image-4196313165.png
    194.5 KB · Views: 60
  • image-831668776.png
    image-831668776.png
    153.4 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back