Sky Sucks !

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by sliver4, Dec 27, 2004.

1. sliver4

sliver4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been without TV for a few months now. Had a normal ariel with crap,snowy reception for 4 channels. The old ariel went when we had to have a the chimney it was attached to rebuilt. I would have simply had a new ariel installed, but I can't get freeview cos it's not available in the area why I live. So I decided to get key for Xmas. Ordered sky for install on 8/12 which they failed to to deliver and also again on another 2 occasions. After the last no-show they quoted the next available install to be "early feb". Got totally ****** off and cancelled the whole thing and demanded compensation for 3 days off work.Skys monopoly over this sucks.

I've got an old sky box , and a new card that sky sent me, but no dish.
    Can anyone recommend a way to get setup without involving sky. I can't keep buying DVD's!!!!

2. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Go through an independent installer. You'll probably end up paying full whack for installation, but they'll probably turn up when they say they will and install

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    There is no Sky monopoly over installations. You can purchase your own box and have it privately installed.

4. sliver4

sliver4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I get non-sky equipment installed, can I still get the ITV channels?

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

I am pretty sure you know the answer to that:)
    Lets assume though it's a genuine question, for the time being ITV1 is still broadcast with Videoguard encryption so requires a SKY digibox and FTV/Subscription smartcard. ITV2 is currently FTV (but that may change) and ITV3 is FTA which I expect will be permenant now.

You complained about the missed appointments, in that regard SKY do not have a monopoly on the supply of their hardware, as indicated you can buy direct from approved and non-approved suppliers or do it yourself. Then you just get yourself a FTV/Pay smartcard which as you already said was delievered promptly:)

Bottom line is that you are poorly covered by both analogue and digital terrestrial broadcasts (Nothing to do with SKY) and no cable coverage either (again nothing to do with SKY) so perhaps instead of moaning about what is on offer (albeit, crappy service so far) you should be protesting about the services you can not get even though you still have to pay a license fee:)

6. sliver4

sliver4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info.:smashin: Can't see why u would think it wasn't a genuine question. I'm new to all this stuff, Ive had sky before, but never looked into the the FTV/FTA stuff - all a bit confusing.

Can't say I'm happy with the lack of a terrestrial service , just feel badly let down by the only choice left to me, having to spend several hours on the phone and days off work for nothing.

7. rich tee

rich tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    FTV (free to view) FTA (free to air)
    Free to view like free view. Pay for a set top box etc.
    Free to air, if you have a sKY digi box but you aren't paying sky anything for it, and you have a viewing card in the box then you can still get loads of channels that are FTA, most of them old tosh though, like travel offers channels.

8. rich tee

rich tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    [/QUOTE]as indicated you can buy direct from approved and non-approved suppliers or do it yourself.
    I already have a sky digi box, if I bought a SKY+ box what would happen if I swapped it over with my current box, myself.
    Would I still be able to record using the pp and get all the features? or does the SKY installer do something special except drink your tea?

9. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

SKY+ requires two LNB feeds, the installer would replace the single LNB with a Quad LNB and lay a new cable.
    So if you bought a SKY+ box make sure it comes with the Quad LNB and then buy some extra cable and the connectors/tape to install it. Also make sure the dish alignment isn't affected by the man hamdling of the dish and that the heavier LNB is taken into account.

Once SKY+ is installed you would need to marry the existing smartcard to the SKY+ and get the service activated (£10 a month or free if you take two or more SKY premium channels).

So yes the installer does actually do something for his/her money:)

10. rich tee

rich tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Cheers Starburst.
    What would we do without you and Rhoamish in our lives?

Happy new Year.
    Rich Tee.

(Erm I think the answer is a costly mistake.)