1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky STB & TV Link

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by wyerd, Feb 23, 2003.

1. wyerd

wyerd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi Guys,

I decided to move my STB as it was using up valuable shelf space under the TV which could be filled up with a decent AV receiver. I Velcro'd it to the back of the TV! Great place I thought! I had a spare TV link IR unit which i plugged into the RF2 socket on the back of the STB and reconnected the RF cable whcih goes to the TVlink dist box in the loft. Now I'm getting a terrible picture on the other TV's in the house fed by the dist box. If I unplug the IR unit, the picture is back to normal, so it's an issue with the IR unit.

The question is, does the TVlink IR unit have to be on the other side of the dist. box to function correctly? (looks that way) and what other IR senders are available so that I can control the STB?

Cheers,
    David.

2. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your TV Link should not, in theory, have affected the pictures if you connected it to the Sky Digibox RF2 output (I hope you don't mean "direct" - it needs a flexible lead otherwise you'll damage its connector or, worse, the RF2 socket).

However, putting a TV Link between the Digibox and a distribution amplifier will BLOCK the 9 volt supply coming out of the Digibox. Consequently there will be no power going to the amplifier. If it is a mains powered Amp then this will not matter. But it sounds as if it's not, and you've effectively blocked its power supply from the Digibox.

It's possible to route the power through the TV link by soldering a wire across a tiny capacitor at the output. To see how to do this you'll find a picture here. Please don't go posting this link all over the internet as it's supposed to be a private page and you'll get me into trouble.

Fman

3. wyerd

wyerd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi Fman,

Thanks for your reply.

This is what I've done - so it appears that I have a number of choices. 1) Get my soldering iron out 2) plug a DC P/S into the dist. box in the loft, or 3) Get an IR extenter that sticks onto the IR receiver on the Digibox if there's such a thing.

Cheers,
    David

4. wyerd

wyerd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    If I take either option 1 or 2, will I still be able to use another TVlink eye linked to the other side of the dist. box to control the SKY STB as before?

5. wyerd

wyerd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I took option 1 and it worked a treat. Thanks for the info.

Cheers,
    David.

6. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, so soldering a wire across the tiny capacitor worked?
    SatCure scores another point. Best web site on the net? :)

Fman