Sky (standard) - No Signal Received

e_munky

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi i'm in need of your advice please.

We have an old panasonic sky digital box. I recently bought a second hand one (white pace flow design). When I hooked up the new one like before it is coming up with the 'no signal received' message even though the old box is receiving signal from the same dish wire when I swap them over.

Can you guys think of anything i'm missing or is it very likely to be the box? If so I will get a refund but I just want to rule everything else out first.

Thank you in advance :)

It's very easy to bend the horizontal wire that sticks straight out from the coaxial cable and connects to the satellite input on the box - make sure that it didn't get bent to one side when screwing the F-connector on to the back of the box. If it didn't, then the new Sky box is probably goosed.

thanks i tried that just now and it is not that (not to mention the cable works fine when plugged back into the old pana box)

The box (according to the guy who listed it) is 4 months old and it's his parents - is there a chance if they have only had it 4 months it could be locked to their address or some other cotractual blocking from sky?

Nope. Only the card dictates what channels you can or can't receive, and with no card in the slot it would still receive all the FTA channels as long as the connection to the dish was fine, and the dish is pointing in the right direction. Which it must be, else your other Sky box wouldn't be getting a decent satellite signal. So it does sound like a knackered box - or at least a broken tuner.

Addresses don't work with satellite boxes - all Sky and Freesat boxes in the UK (and Northern Europe) are pointing at the same collection of satellites somewhere up in space, so it is impossible to link boxes to addresses or postcodes. And it is impossible to work out whether the box has moved or not when it is connected to a new satellite dish. Dishes don't hold any geographical information, and boxes don't either.

ok well I better go about getting a refund then :( thanks again broadz for the quick and informative replies!

Before you claim your money back it is worth performing a forced software update on the box.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom