1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ spurious recording

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by davet010, Sep 21, 2004.

1. davet010

davet010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    This morning, for some reason, my Sky+ box decided to start recording something (ie the red light came on), but every time I try to go into the menu to see what it's recording, it stops. When I go back to the TV picture, after about 10 secs it starts again...and the available free space is going down.

Has anyone ever seen this before ? What can I do to stop it ?

thanks

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Might be useful to change the dsk managment to manual to make sure the SKY+ doesn't start deleting things by itself.

Apart from that I am totally in the dark, a recording being activated by itself could probably be an EPG/series link bug but when it stops when you enter the planner is just bizarre.
    I would say do a full system reset but you may have content you don't want to lose right at this time, a OS update might help and certainly powering down the box and letting it boot back up shouldn't done any harm and may cure he problem.

3. davet010

davet010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Ta - I'll try that when I get home.

4. Barry.NI

Barry.NI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Dave,

When SKY+ first came out, it was advertised as being able to learn your viewing patterns, and automatically record similar programmes. I occasionally have it record episodes of Eastenders, which I do not watch it, though I have a series link for Coronation Street. There is nothing in the manual about this feature, does anyone know anything else, or whether this feature was ever implemented?

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    That was TIVO :)

SKY+ has never been capable of analyzing your preferences then scanning program lists and recording similar content.

6. Moviebuff

Moviebuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +233
    I can confirm that Sky+ has series link,where you can set it to record programs of a similar content - i.e Eastenders Mon,Tues etc.

7. davet010

davet010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Yep - but the issue was that it was recording things that I hadn't programmed. Fine after a 2 minute switch off, and hasn't recurred.

8. D J Fryer

D J Fryer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    2 episodes of Eastenders popped up in my Planner the other day and after grilling my wife as to why she had scheduled them to record we discovered that neither of us had. Strange indeed.

9. Moviebuff

Moviebuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +233
    1 episode of Eastenders is bad enough - 2 is the stuff of nightmares! :eek:

10. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    All the programs in the EPG are assigned a code number, however there are a finite amount of codes and they get recycled.
    This is most evident when you have a recording stored on the HD and after X amount of weeks the "i" data changes and the synopsis no longer matches the recording.

It is possible that these codes are responsible for programs being recorded when not selected in conjunction with the less than perfect series link implementation by some broadcasters.

11. thedoc

thedoc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We have actually had Top Gear series linked, watched them all (end of series had been reached), deleted them all (so no trace of Top Gear on planner, and not scheduled to record), and weeks later when Top Gear started a new series (we hadn't even realised it had restarted!) Sky+ took it upon itself to record AND series link the old series. This has also happened before for Stargate.

I suspect that the series link info is "left behind" on the Sky+ disc, and the box simply acts upon this.

12. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    The gap allowed between series linked programs was increased to about a month I think an update or so back which made them more reliable and able to survive breaks for sport or other replacement shows.

In this regard the series link system seems to have worked perfectly, you set the link for Top Gear and the information was stored locally so when Top Gear came back in was automatically added. A far cry from learning your preferences but certainly makes it more than a dumb VCR type of device:)