1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky Sports Surround Sound

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Lex, Mar 19, 2002.

1. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi all,

I usually watch the footie on my home cinema setup. If anyone else does this have you noticed any difference lately in the surround mix. It's been like it is now for a while, but I am sure that last year there was a lot more crowd noise/atmosphere in the rear speakers - it used to really bring the stadium feel into your home! The way it is now it is barely worth putting it on pro-logic at all. Or is it just me?!

By the way I do love Sky's coverage of the footie. IMHO They are definitely the best!

Lex.

2. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    To be honest i've never been impressed with the surround sound of any of the channels as regards football.

It's only when the PA announcer comes on in the stadium when you seem to get some sort of surround effect.

A few years ago it was pretty good on the BBC, but even there's has become lacklustre recently.

Think i'll try it on analog next time, NICAM seems to sound better.

3. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Always been rubbish as far as I'm concerned. To get any effect whatsoever you have to turn it up so loud the damn commentators deafen you with their drivel. In the time of digital TV with supposed support for multiple soundtracks, surely we should be able to tunr off the damn commentary. I get sick of listening to a couple of old geezers talking crap about a game they don't even seem to be watching. What is the point of them at all?

As for surround effects on sports programming, I've occasionally (very occasionally) heard some great stuff from Ice Hockey coverage on Channel 5 from the ESPN and Fox Sports feeds. Most of the time though, it doesn't even sound like stereo.

This may be a mute point with many people, but as a casual (and always drunk) wrestling viewer I wish Sky would broadcast it in stereo. Great crowd effects from the PPV's that are broadcast in stereo. Watching Wrestlemania early this morning, surround sound was awesome. Make fun of me if you will, I don't care.

4. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Actually you can do this on Sky Sports pointon. It is part of the interactive service...

Select Audio on the interactive menu, and then you can choose between commentary, fanzone, or ambient/crowd noise.

5. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Buggering NTL... better bloody catch up. The only thing keeping me with them is that I hate satellite dishes, and NTL broadband is great. If BT's broadband service can compare, they might just lose a customer.