Sky Sports/ Cinema 4k Content Virgin Media

No it's not a reason not to get the TV.
BT Sport 4k is great.
Netflix, Disney, apple TV + and amazon look great on it.
Im just not pleased with any quality of HD on the virgin box. Compared to the streamers their 1080 is shite.
But 4k looks great just a lack of content currently

I read that Sky Sports UHD should be arriving on VM at some point this year? But VM are being sketchy about this... Any truth in that?

This is what the post was/is for. The fact its meant to be coming but its not here as of yet

Ok.

Really need to weigh this purchase up, then.

You said it’s not a good reason to not buy the TV. But also said HD is gash through Virgin.

So considering 90% of my viewing is football and the fact Sky Sports have the rights to the most football - it’s a problem.

Last edited:
Have to disagree on HD quality. Most of it looks good on my Samsung Q90R65, especially sport.

It's not like it's that much worse than sky. Broadcasting on the whole bitrates have gone down.
Dante will confirm that for you. But it's all subjective see someone above thinks that the HD is acceptable personally I don't think sky q HD or virgin HD is acceptable compared to what I've been used to. Although BBC the other day actually had a semi watchable programme.
I still buy 4k discs and have some normal bluray so depends what you are watching.

But not everyone is anal or cares

So considering 90% of my viewing is football and the fact Sky Sports have the rights to the most football - it’s a problem.
In the UK. Loads of content available through a multiple satellite setup (and a bit of it is free)

Having bought the TV and watched different content on it. I’m happy.

BTSports Ultimate (4K) is stunning. Sky Sports HD is also fantastic.

Some of the other ‘HD’ channels that aren’t sports aren’t as great through VM but for me that’s not an issue.

Having bought the TV and watched different content on it. I’m happy.

BTSports Ultimate (4K) is stunning. Sky Sports HD is also fantastic.

Some of the other ‘HD’ channels that aren’t sports aren’t as great through VM but for me that’s not an issue.
What TV?

Why the xh95 and hot the h9005 of the 80 or 90t?

Because it’s a fantastic TV?

The picture quality, from what I judged/saw and read about the XH90 and 80T is better on the XH95. Brightness is also a big thing for me. Plus points for the other sets relate to gaming, and as I don’t game, it’s irrelevant.

As for the 90T. It was never considered as I wasn’t going to drop £2k on a TV.

Especially when I ending up getting the XH95 65” for £1175 in the end.

Tweeted @Virginmedia Got this response:
16038086619387518794783544319569.jpg

i mean hardly an excuse for not getting it on. I cant actually see it being hard work to add! Especially if the legal work had been done before hand.

One point to note, i have noticed an incresed picture quality this last week, last nights football especially on sky sports was much better than that of previous games

Just found this thread. Just got Virgin...the HD sports channels, aside from BT Ultimate are terrible. Dont know how they get away with calling it HD. I have the Sony 65XF9005 and love the TV, its brilliant for AppleTV, Netflix, Prime etc...but Virgin is just poor in terms of picture quality. Its a good thing I got a good deal with them, otherwise i'd be a lot more upset!

Just found this thread. Just got Virgin...the HD sports channels, aside from BT Ultimate are terrible. Dont know how they get away with calling it HD. I have the Sony 65XF9005 and love the TV, its brilliant for AppleTV, Netflix, Prime etc...but Virgin is just poor in terms of picture quality. Its a good thing I got a good deal with them, otherwise i'd be a lot more upset!
The premier league games can be great others are shocking.
The on demand HD is shite, its really poor.
BBC one can be totally amazing and other times are bad as it comes.

I shall look forward to the great ones when they come along! I knew it might not be perfect, but really surprised at how bad it is. Ah well, maybe when they do get UHD it will at least appear HD quality - or I would hope!

I shall look forward to the great ones when they come along! I knew it might not be perfect, but really surprised at how bad it is. Ah well, maybe when they do get UHD it will at least appear HD quality - or I would hope!
BT sports ultimate is ok. I don't even watch the native apps in it.
Also set the box to output 1080i upwards and nothing below. Will help a lot

BT sports ultimate is ok. I don't even watch the native apps in it.
Also set the box to output 1080i upwards and nothing below. Will help a lot

thanks. It’s such a shame really as I only got virgin for the sport channels. Now tv was better picture quality.

thanks. It’s such a shame really as I only got virgin for the sport channels. Now tv was better picture quality.

Now TV isn't even technically HD, not without having to pay extra for the Boost option which will give you 1080p. Other than this, the maximum streaming quality associated with regular Now TV is 720p.

Now TV isn't even technically HD, not without having to pay extra for the Boost option which will give you 1080p. Other than this, the maximum streaming quality associated with regular Now TV is 720p.
I had the boost at one point, but even the non boosted nowtv beats the virgin HD hands down

Isn't 720p HD?

Sports are in 1080i so if you have the box set to 4k only it'll do the deinterlacing and the upscaling and make a terrible mess of it

Make sure 1080i is ticked as well as whatever others you have

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom