Sky Sports 2 HD

Reaction score
:D Yey it's finally turned up and even better for us MAN U Fans the Amsterdam cup is on it tonight and tomorrow :clap:

You do realise that the Amsterdam tournament is not actually in HD? Just because it's on Sky Sports HD2 don't mean it's in HD. Obviously the Dutch aren't covering it in HD and Sky either couldn't or wouldn't send their HD OB trucks over there.

So near, yet so far !!!

Just because there is a new HD channel, doesn't mean more HD programs.

It just means Sky HD subscribers think they are getting better value for their hard earned £10.

Dohhhhh must admit i didnt check the info for the "rare" hd logo !!!!
Gutted i am.

There seems to be even less HD material on SS HD2 than there is on SS HD1.

Actually, we are getting better value for money. For instance, tomorrow there is Test Cricket on HD1 whilst HD2 is showing the Championship football. Without the extra HD channel we wouldn't have been able to watch the football in HD. Give Sky credit when it's due :thumbsup:

mstodge said:
It just means Sky HD subscribers think they are getting better value for their hard earned £10.

Good point Tuscan.

Hehe... that's why I did a deal with Sky... I pay the extra for HD £10 so they can see the return on investment and therefore bring new content to the masses, but I got them to knock 25% off my standard sub. I was at full package so thats a £10 saving each month hence my SkyHD costs me nothing but the upgrade price.

Sky really are quite reasonable when you speak to them.:cool:

Will there be a Prem Plus HD Channel as well? as i know Prem Plus is in HD or do you think they will reuse a SP HD1/2

game over said:
Will there be a Prem Plus HD Channel as well? as i know Prem Plus is in HD or do you think they will reuse a SP HD1/2

I've had my confirmation through the post and a little fixtures leaflet, that states the games will be on 756 (SBOHD1)

Sparky101 said:
You do realise that the Amsterdam tournament is not actually in HD? Just because it's on Sky Sports HD2 don't mean it's in HD. Obviously the Dutch aren't covering it in HD and Sky either couldn't or wouldn't send their HD OB trucks over there.

But Chelsea V Celtic (delayed coverage, not Live) on Wednesday night 10pm is in HD on SSHD1! I guess cause it's at Stalingrad bridge. Tim Lovejoy :boring: is the anchor, that'll be impartial..... :thumbsdow

just watching the game between leicster and luton and the quality is much better than sd but not as good as BBC HD's coverage of the world cup.

micheal9009 said:
just watching the game between leicster and luton and the quality is much better than sd but not as good as BBC HD's coverage of the world cup.

I feel HD football is at its best under floodlight, especially at the world cup.
Today's HD Championship match is a big leap in picture quality compared to SD on Sky Sports 2 though.

youcrazyboy said:
But Chelsea V Celtic (delayed coverage, not Live) on Wednesday night 10pm is in HD on SSHD1! I guess cause it's at Stalingrad bridge. Tim Lovejoy :boring: is the anchor, that'll be impartial..... :thumbsdow
You forgot the 'W' :rotfl:

Only kidding, Lovejoy is a legend. Do you reckon we'll have Soccer AM in HD - no need really, I know but would be quality seeing Hells Bells in all her HD glory :smashin:

Congrats to Manchester United who filled me with pride when the youngsters beat Ajax 1 - 0 to win the tournament....

I havent yet got my HD TV or HD subsription.

All though it wasn't filmed in HD, was it upscalled to HD and was it better quality than the broadcast on Sky Sports 2?

On another note, I don't exactly understand how HD channles are broadcasted. Why is there a seperate channel for each HD channel? I find it annoying to think that I will have to remember different channel numbers for the HD channels (Sports 1&2, Prep +, Sky 1, Movies (9&10).
Would it not of been possible to do something like broadcasting them on the same channel as the SD broadcasts and maybe use the yellow button (that has no use) to switch between SD & HD?

Thanks Chris

Abbeygoo said:

Only kidding, Lovejoy is a legend. Do you reckon we'll have Soccer AM in HD - no need really, I know but would be quality seeing Hells Bells in all her HD glory :smashin:

LOL:rotfl: Very funny! I guess you need to havea sense of humour being a City fan:eek: I support the good Manchester team (NO not Port...). I really thought Luton game was pants. I think the floodlight thang will be a factor, anyone know if CHapions League will be in HD? DOes ITV :thumbsdow still have half games and will they launch ITV HD on Sky platform?

chris_lyon82 said:
On another note, I don't exactly understand how HD channles are broadcasted. Why is there a seperate channel for each HD channel? I find it annoying to think that I will have to remember different channel numbers for the HD channels (Sports 1&2, Prep +, Sky 1, Movies (9&10).
Would it not of been possible to do something like broadcasting them on the same channel as the SD broadcasts and maybe use the yellow button (that has no use) to switch between SD & HD?
Thanks Chris
All channel numbers on a SAT box are completely artificial. When the SAT box is initialized, a map associates SAT box channel numbers to specific channels on the different transponders. HD and SD channels are usually on different transponders but are always on different channels. Therefore it would be possible to have any transponder channel indicate any SAT box channel number. Currently SAT/cable box manufacturers display the channel numbers from 1-999 but could have done it anyway they wanted. They could have done what you suggested by displaying the same channel number for both the SD and HD channel and have a key on the remote to switch back and forth or possibly develop a box which indicates a letter followed by a channel number such as C05 (Children 05), S07 (Sports 07), M03 (Movie 03), etc. and created a remote that allowed switching between the different types.

Abbeygoo said:

I doubt it they've only just gone 16:9 last season...would be pretty cool Helen and the Soccerettes!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom