1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sky+ splitting

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by polecat, Sep 23, 2005.

1. polecat

polecat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello all
    i am wanting to connect sky+ up to my media centre computer a medion titainium 8386 and a lcd panel a 26" duel from asda.
    The sky+ is in the living room,the pc is in the dinning room about a 7mtr cable run away and lcd panel will be a further 7mtr away in a conservatory,so i will be wanting to split the scart behind the pc one feed for the pc one for the panel, i was thinking of using scart 2 vcr out of sky+ i dont use the vcr anymore its just gathering dust,(scart one rgb goes to tv in living room) ive seen some good scart cable on ebay for about £18 for 10mtr flat by clicktronic,but i am not sure what to go for with the splitter do i go for an amplified one, a switched one, an auto switched one or one of those cheap splitter boxes with the small fly lead off it, idealy i just want to put it behind the pc desk and forget about it,if it works i want be able to record sky onto the hard disk of pc and play it back to the lcd or watch sky direct from the box to the panel,the panel will also be cabled for dvi and normal antenna feed.
    Too many kids having too many fights about who is watching what and when,
    at least it should give me few more options :)
    Thanks
    polecat

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    An amplified scart splitter should always be used, because the passive ones cause signal levels to drop causing picture problems. All these cables and devices seem rather expensive and labour-intensive, when you can have Sky+ in a second room for £10 a month ? :cool:

3. polecat

polecat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply nick,
    i see what you mean about multiroom,but that would mean £10 a month for multiroom £10 a month for sky+ unless i had 2 prem channels plus the cost of the sky+ box which would prob be a recon unit, plus the cost of installation but i think that may be free, phoned sky about an hour ago and was told i may have a wait of 79 mins (sod that) so i hung up.
    I was thinking of running the cables under the edge carpet from the sky+ to the pc and from the pc to the conservatory,which is not yet fully finished, so if i put the cables in at least i should be future proofing in the conservatory, the cables should not cost any more than £70-80, not to sure the price of a amplified splitter
    Thanks
    polecat