SKY+ splitter, Pro's and cons?

S

sinbrad

If there are any forum members out there who are currently going down the path of using a splitter (using single feed) with their SKY+ can they kindly post the pro's and cons. One of the most asked questions would be can you carry out unattended multiple channel recordings with the splitter method?

I'm pretty sure you can't split the signal to achieve 2 inputs. IIRC the LNB switches between Horizonatal & vertical polarisation dependent on what channel is watched . Think the only way to achieve dual record ,is to have dual input.
There are plenty others more upto speed on how the LNB/SKY+ works than I.
but i'm fairly certain what you want can't be done
atb
JS

A few people on the forums have stated that they have gone this way and I have advised them as you have in that there are two polarisations. In theory though if the programmes were on the same polarisation it should be capable. But when it's two different polars then the LNB would become confused and maybe fail. Hence why I am asking to see if someone out there has tried and tested it to see what the result is?

I use a Stacker/D Stacker with my installation. (IE: One cable running from dish to receiver. Signal is taken via two short cables to Stacker (from Quad LNB) then onced at receiver the signal is D Stacked and two short cables attached to LNB inputs.

Signal doesn't appear to have suffered as a result and was a solution for me with my single cable run to allow full dual record capability.

Nitemare ;)

Nitemare said:
I use a Stacker/D Stacker with my installation. (IE: One cable running from dish to receiver. Signal is taken via two short cables to Stacker (from Quad LNB) then onced at receiver the signal is D Stacked and two short cables attached to LNB inputs.

Signal doesn't appear to have suffered as a result and was a solution for me with my single cable run to allow full dual record capability.

Nitemare ;)

hello mate, what is a stacker, where can i get one and can u let me know if this has worked with your sky+.

thanks

Alex

sinbrad said:
A few people on the forums have stated that they have gone this way and I have advised them as you have in that there are two polarisations. In theory though if the programmes were on the same polarisation it should be capable. But when it's two different polars then the LNB would become confused and maybe fail. Hence why I am asking to see if someone out there has tried and tested it to see what the result is?

There are two "switches" in the signals sent from the box to the LNB. One (as you already said) switches H/V polarisation, but there is another which switches between "hi" and "lo" band on the LNB. So a splitter would only work for channels which were on the same polarisation, and on the same frequency band.

AQU4RIUS said:
hello mate, what is a stacker, where can i get one and can u let me know if this has worked with your sky+.

thanks

Alex

A stacker is actually two devices which fit at either end of the cable running to the dish. The device at the dish end takes the outputs from both LNB's and "stacks" them (frequency wise) one above the other on the cable. At the other end of the cable they are de-stacked and split. Stackers rarely work because of the demands they make on the cable, unless you have top-class cable. The other disadvantage is that you need access to the dish, and if you live in a flat, the landlord most probably won't give you permission, and he/she will evict you if you mess with his/her property without permission.

Cheers i own my flat so dont have a landlord as such, but i understand what your saying. i could quite easily put a dish outside my window, but have afeeling im facing the wrong direction, as the communal dish is 'behind' me on the opposite wall. there must be a solution!!!!!!!:lease:

also i dont understand how i can have multiroom boxes showing different channels yet this sky+ malarky wont work. surely 2 tuners working seperatley is the same thing as 2 tuners integrated, why has it been made so complicated?:suicide:

AQU4RIUS said:
..... also i dont understand how i can have multiroom boxes showing different channels yet this sky+ malarky wont work. surely 2 tuners working seperatley is the same thing as 2 tuners integrated, why has it been made so complicated?:suicide:

Multi-room boxes still need separate feeds. If you already have a Sky box in another room on multi-room, the solution for Sky+ is simple - extend the cable feeding the multi-room box and use it as the second input for the Sky+, but you'll lose the multi-room, though.

sorry my bad, i havent got multi room, i just thought that would work. although i do have a 2nd connection in my bedroom, but i guess that is just from some sort of splitter.

:(

It may not be the same signal. Quite a few people have found that the outlet in another room comes from an independent feed. Try borrowing a couple of Sky boxes and see if you can get different channels at the same time - you may be pleasantly surprised :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom