Sky special heights

UKDanny666

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hey guys
Booked my sky+ begining of august, normal install team came and said you need special heights, ok then i booked special heightsone firm came ou said yeh no problem but because it was a bank holiday we couldnt get in touch with our landlord so we rescheduled for today a team comes out and says u cant get it, not this left me baffled as one firm said they coud do it and the other said they cant now im stuck in limbo and sky have said they rebooked it for another special heights team to come out next thursday, they also said if it all fails get an independand. however this will cost me in excess of £150 and they would cancle my order, this is not what i want as because i work at currys i have half price subcriptionfor a year.
what are yur guys views on this?and what should i do?please help. :lease:

It would help to know the situation at your house/flat.

A Sky standard install is to a wall of a two storey house.

Has any of the installers said why it cannot be done?

Many installs cannot be done by Sky because of the limitations of their insurance cover - caused by many fraudulent claims for damage in the early days - so they have now set a fairly rigid policy for their installers. Anything outside those conditions you will need to go via a local independant who often has a more comprehensive insurance cover.

well my flat is a converted terraced wich is 2 stories at the fronbut because its on a hill it goes into a 3 story at the back the engineers said that its too high however the person who came before them said it can definetly can be done so i dont know wat to do

I am sorry to say that it will definitely be simpler but not cheaper to get an independant to do the job.

You will find I have ranted on a few threads if you look about special heights after having four failed sky install attempts 3 of which were supposedly special heights or high heights or whatever they call it but were in fact nothing of the sort. It took sky 3 weeks between install attempts because special heights were supposedly busy and each time just a single guy turned up who didn't even have a ladder and said he couldn't do it because of health and safety even if he did. There were also problems with the non standard bracket needed but I can't be bothered to write the whole story.

I obviously can't speak for all installers but having had a few chats with some who admit they only get allocated a fixed amount of time and a fixed fee for an install there is sometimes a case of this is not worth the effort. Sky messed me about for four months and cost me four days off work, after I cancelled everything with sky and called an independent he had the dish up and everything working within an hour and half of my phone call. He did charge me £120 for the job but as sky's install fee at the time was something like £65 I considered the extra worth it as it avoided another day off work and got it done.

well my flat is a converted terraced wich is 2 stories at the fronbut because its on a hill it goes into a 3 story at the back the engineers said that its too high however the person who came before them said it can definetly can be done so i dont know wat to do

It all depends on the site, you say you are on a hill does the hill slope away steeply from the back of the building, does it have firm standing on which to use a ladder? If as you say the building has gained one floor from front to back, it sounds as though this is a pretty steep hill. All these can make even the special heights teams say no.

no its not that steep the actual lad behind myproperty is flat. the house itself is like 60ft max so what is the limitations of the sh teams and, why can one sub contractor say they can do it and one say they cant, apparently i cant get an independant to put this dish up as i will have to cancel it, i dont mind paying the extra so long as sky could just install the box as if i canceled with sky i loose my special half price for a year with sky offer. o do you guys know if i could just get sky to install the box and get an indy to do the dish, ive asked arround and the independant said there no problem with him so long as there no prob with sky

I waited 3 weeks for SHT to come 300 miles and they said they would not go on the roof of our block of 9 flats, built 1866 and about 90' high due to health and safety, despite there being good access onto a flat roof section. Whilst negotiating a different SHT fitted my neighbour's dish on the same roof, lashed to the chimney. Sky said they should not have done it. upshot was a got a super local installer (Danby in Pickering, North Yorks) who did a good job. I think you are better with an indipendant if you can arrange it around your subscription, they are much better and more flexible.

geoffwork was right after all the waiting sky apparently foned my old mobile to day to say they were coming becasue the mobile wasnt on the assumed i was not in and did not come what a joke!!! so now i have booked an independant installer to come and her said he could come today at 16:30 and have it all done for £130 including labour a sky+ box and a sky eye being installed i bit his hand off at that price i wondered why i waited this lon for sky to pull their fingers out. :clap::clap::clap: PRAISE FOR THE INDEPENDANT INSTALLER :clap::clap::clap:

geoffwork was right after all the waiting sky apparently foned my old mobile to day to say they were coming becasue the mobile wasnt on the assumed i was not in and did not come what a joke!!! so now i have booked an independant installer to come and her said he could come today at 16:30 and have it all done for £130 including labour a sky+ box and a sky eye being installed i bit his hand off at that price i wondered why i waited this lon for sky to pull their fingers out. :clap::clap::clap: PRAISE FOR THE INDEPENDANT INSTALLER :clap::clap::clap:

That your phone was turned off was hardly Sky's fault - would you waste time and money going to see someone you cannot contact.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom