Sky Soundbox or Yamaha YAS 107

yesterdaysjam

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have £250 to spend on a soundbar, just looking for something to improve my Sky and Netflix(from TV) sound experience, I also don't really want a sub woofer. These are the two that I am considering but any other recommendations would be good. Any help deciding would be most appreciated.

Sky Soundbox
Yamaha YAS 107

I would recommend the yas207. Outstanding soundbar and within your budget.

I am assuming that you are a Sky Q subscriber (with Multi-room) to get the Soundbox for £249 - which is a sweet deal as it retails for £799 (although I doubt anyone will pay that if they don't have Sky Q). Not sure if you will find many that have one for a review / opinion but you may be lucky.

I personally already had my YSP-1600 before this came out. The Yamaha's are decent soundbars and have nice features, so it may come down to size depending on how much space you have.

Last edited:
I've got the YAS 107 and I'm very impressed with it for the money, I bought it when on offer for £169. I haven't heard the Soundbox though.

I'm also in the same situation at the moment. I am considering either the Sky Soundbox or the YAS 107.

My main uses would be Sky, Netflix and PS4.

Website reviews for the sky soundbox say it's the best at its price range (£299) but I've found limited number of user reviews- particularly performance with non-sky content.

Having searched the internet it seems the Yamaha YAS 107 is a highly recommended option (slightly cheaper at £229) - but is it better/as good as the sky soundbox?

hey, same boat here.
Just to add - I have ordered the sky soundbox but I think I will send it back.
I currently have an old sony ht-ct260. Its ok however the only problem is the low dialogue levels. I just can't get it to work. Therefore after getting new QLED TV I decided to upgrade the soundbar as well.
Like I said I've ordered the soundbox. It arrived last week but I will be sending it back.
There is a slight improvement over the ht-ct260 - the dialogues are much clearer (even missus agrees and that says a lot!). However I think I can get better soundbar for the money (£250) or at least I hope I can.
here's my issues with it so far:
1) The lack of ARC - I have to keep switching between HDMI and optic when switching from SKY Q to netflix or amazon prime or PS4 etc. It does not sound like a big issue but it is annoying to keep looking for second remote all the time!
2) Soundbox does not wake up automatically when TV starts. I have managed to set up my smart remote from samsung to control the volume of the Soundbox, but thats the only feature it can do (plus mute). I can't change the input, or turn it on and off. I understand this is more down to my TV remote but with the old soundbar I did not need to pick the ht-ct260 remote at all! it would wake up automatically, volume would work etc etc. And that soundbar was 1/3 of the discounted price of the soundbox.
3) the bass is not as good as ht-ct260 (dedicated sub - I know). I understand that this might be one or the other type of scenario - either clear dialogue or heavy bass. Like I said I do prefer the clearer dialouges however I would like the bass to have ever so slightly more "tump" to it.

Overall I think its a OK product - definitely not worth £700! I will be sending it back and maybe increase my budget to £300-£400 and get something with ARC with possibly dedicated sub, or maybe re-using my old sony's ct260 sub with new soundbar - if thats possible? Any recommendations?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom