1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ sound set-up

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Jedwards, Oct 8, 2005.

1. Jedwards

Jedwards
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm in the process of setting up my Sky+ system to my sony home cinema system. However, the sound seems to be better through the red/white audio leads, rather than the other option through the optical cable from the Sky Plus box.

Can anyone tell me which option will be broadcasting the more 'intelligent' sound?

Many thanks,

J

2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sky+ has the option of Dolby Digital on the Sky Movie channels so the best connection to use is the Optical out and it will still transfer normal 2 channel material, this is how i use it as there is more to gain than useing the 2 anologue outs.

3. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    can u use both?

i bought an optical cable but it didnt work, i tried it on my DVD player as well and nothing, so im rather fearful that my amps inputs are not working right, i tried various settings but to no avail......coaxial from my DVD is fine...

anyhow, can u keep both optical and stereo phono connected? if so that probably a good thing to do....phono for normal use, optical for DD

4. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't see why not, i use it as i get the benefit from DD and it is an easy connection or 1 less.

5. binbag

binbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I find DD showings are at least 10db quieter than other audio formats from my V1 box. Added to the lack of a global sound level over all channels it makes for unpleasant late night channel hopping.

6. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    have you looked in the amps menu and turned optical input on?
    and can you see the red light at the end of the cable?

7. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whatever you do, do not look directly at the light comeing out of the end of the cable as it could damage you're eyes.

8. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    ok, with the cable plugged in to the sky box you can see light coming thru the cable, same if i plug it in the DVD player...

but when i connect the cable up to the amp, it doesnt seem to be recognising it......i've tried various optical input sockets on the amp (Denon 3803) and none of them recognised a signal coming in...even while i played a DD movie from the sky box, and likewise from the DVD player......

however sitting here right now, i remember not connecting one of the optical inputs little protection plugs back on the amp, and i can see a little red dot reflection on my wall behind the amp......should the amp have a red light shining out of it? or should it only be the source that has the light coming from the output?......i would have thought only the output from the source would be lighted, the input should be waiting for the light? or am i wrong on that?..lol
    i gave the cable to a friend yesterday to check on his Sky setup as he uses it himself, so if it works for him, then im guessing my amps inputs are screwed somehow, i know how to use my amp for everyone else without a problem, so i cant believe i havnt tried everything to get it to work, i even bothered to read the manual again...lol

9. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Knyght byte - have you not checked with Denon to see if you're amp is working ok ? I would atleast speak to them and just check to see if all is well..

10. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +599
    thats what im going to do next if my mate says the cable itself is ok......

its not in warranty anymore so its gonna cost me, which means it'll have to wait....thing is, if they not working, that probably means they never worked, wonder if denon will be decent and say no charge......oh well, it was a nice dream..lol

luckily i have a Sherwood amp i can borrow back from my mum for a while if it goes off for repair...lol..i want the optical for DD from sky :-(