Sky+ Sound quality via Amp

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by JoeA3, Feb 1, 2009.

1. JoeA3

JoeA3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hi folks,
    I've just got myself a Pioneer VSX-1018 AVR, paired with a Jamo speakers package.

I'm trying to get my head around the mind-boggling array of settings and features, and one thing that slightly disappoints me is the sound I get from normal Sky+ TV.

I have the Sky+ box connected to the Amp via optical, and RGB Scart direct to the TV for the picture. I also have made sure that the Sky+ box is set to output DD via optical in the sky settings.

The sound just seems a bit weak, lacking much bass or oooomph. I set the Amp to AUTO, and it gives me basic stereo sound, with very little coming from the sub at all. If I manually set the Amp to "surround" or DD Pro-Logic, I get sound in all 5 speakers, but it's still a bit weak I think.

So, does this sound normal, or should I be getting head-thumping sound from normal Sky+ ?!

And what channels (if any?) broadcast any programmes in Dolby Digital? I don't have the movie channels, but I do have the sports. I flicked over to Film4 there, and the banner indicates "DD", but I'm only getting stereo.

I should point out that Blu-ray and DVD sounds fantastic, even though I do have to crank up the volume a bit more than I would have expected to. Maybe I'm going deaf!

thanks in advance
    Joe.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  2. William YZF-R1

William YZF-R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +536
    I can't comment on Sky+, I don't have Sky only Freeview, but cranking up the volume for Blu-Ray & DVD is normal.

3. dwhite

dwhite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,805
    Without the movie channels, I don't think you are gonna get much Dolby Digital 5.1 from Sky+.

FilmFour has never broadcast Dolby Digital, but the EPG is often wrong, as you have found out.

4. cammy

cammy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    hello there joe!

the sky movie channels are mostly broadcast in dd

most of the other channels are broadcast in either ds or 2 channel pcm.

you'll find the sound in ds a bit flat compared to dd.

i think to get the sound you're looking for you would need to add sky movies to to your subscription.

5. JoeA3

JoeA3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Thanks Cammy :smashin:
    Yeah, I wasn't really expecting 5.1 DD on all the channels, but I thought the sound would be a big leap over the standard TV speakers - and it isn't really.

One other total newbie question - what is PCM? When I play a normal DVD, I see "DTS" or "Dolby Digital" appear on the AVR's display. But for every Blu-ray I play, I only ever see "PCM" on the display, even if I switch the audio track on the movie settings to TrueHD.

6. memorgan

memorgan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PCM stands for Pulse Code Modulation. PCM technology is a means by which standard audio signals are converted to digital audio signals with little, or no, compression. The method of audio conversion is used on most digital audio formats, including CDs and DVD-Audio, and is also used to some extent in Blu-ray and HD-DVD applications. The PCM signal is converted back to analog form for distribution to loudspeakers.
    If you are using a player with an onboard HD audio decoder, the denon amp probably wont recognise the signal as HD audio as it would have already have been decoded, but will still play it as it should be played. At least it does when playing Blueray disk via my PS3