Sky sound problems

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Swordfish, Jun 10, 2004.

1. Swordfish

Swordfish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +546
    Hi all hope you can help, it's my first post

I have Mission M30 Surround Sound speakers, running through a Dennon AVR 1804 amp. Sound from DVD's and Terrestial broadcasts is fantastic but i can hear odd sounds when viewing through Sky. I can only describe the sound as a sort of Squelching and is only noticeable when you put your ear close to the FR FL SR SL speakers, centre speaker is fine.

The sound is mainly noticeable when dialogue is produced, i.e. a newsreader taking. I have a the phono leads running from my TV (Panasonic TX32PD30) to the amp's TV/DBS socket. I tried running them from the sky box's left and right audio out's to the amp but it made no difference. All my interconnects are high quality IXOS and the speaker cables are QED Silver Anniversary.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Paul Owen

2. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I got that on my Pace BSKYB2200. I dumped it for a new Panasonic and haven't noticed any problems with that.

3. nonikandola

nonikandola

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ive got exactly the same problem with a pioneer ax3 and sky +. im using a optical cable but dolby digital sounds fine its only pro logic and prologic II.

Have you played muic on it loud before you noticed it?

4. andyAV

andyAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had similar problems though digital feed when watching non DD programs with digital output set to dolby. Swapping this setting meant problems went away so it wasn't the amp (as first suspected) or speakers. Just meant I either swapped to dolby when watching movies or wired phone cables too and switched amp from digital to analogue and visa versa as required.

Andy

5. ScubaPro

ScubaPro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I get this too but I think it is something to do with dolby prologic de-coding as it's fine on DD or DTS and is most noticeable when listening to dialogue only

If anyone has a solution I'd love to hear it

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Dolby pro-logic is recorded by mixing out-of-phase signals. If you try to decode speech or music which is not encoded, you will hear accentuated phase errors, which will not sound too good. So the moral of the story is to only switch pro-logic decoding on when there's pro-logic sound to decode.

7. ScubaPro

ScubaPro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    and how do you know when there is pro-logic sound to decode when watching sky ?
    Also if you do know it is not pro-logic (what other type is there) what do you set you amp too ? If it is on Auto like it is on my AVR300 why doesn't it detect it is not pro-logic ? Or Po-logic II as the case may be

8. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Press the info (i) button. You will see a series of letters at the top .....

DD = Dolby Digital 5.1
    DS = Dolby Surround

There are others, like W for widesscreen, and N for narrative. DD output is only output by Sky+ boxes, otherwise it will be DS. Where no DD or DS is shown, assume it's plain stereo.

9. ScubaPro

ScubaPro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks Nick, so assuming there is no DD or DS and it is stereo would you then change the Mod on the AV300 to Stereo ?

Seems like a big fuss to have to keep checking what sky are broadcasting in and then alternating the Mode on the Processor.

10. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    If the noise is annoying, then that would seem to be a solution. I get a small amount of noise in the rear speakers of my Yammie 640, but not enough to be annoying.