Sky + software

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by matisamd, Mar 3, 2005.

1. matisamd

matisamd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, sry if i am asking somthing stated in another thread but i was just wondering when and indeed if there ever going to get serious about sky+ and have a user interface that isnt a pile of hopeless annoyance and simplified idiocy lol.

Basicallythe whole 20 favourites thing, no lists, no way to move or group or organise channels.

I dont think i need to explain quite how lame the software is, you guys use it, but personally i feel its very weak and i am desperately hoping they will put a little time and effort into and make the whole experience of using sky+ to watch TV abit less of a chore and more of a pleasure.

( thats why i got it, i play games on my PC i watch tele on my tele call me old fashioned :p ).

- rant off :p

sry just needed a rant on that its been bugging me for ages and no one at sky or pace seems to care.

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    I have no real issues with the SKY+ OS and interface, yes there are limitations which were first created by hardware issues back in 1998 but the system works and is very easy to use.
    SKY's use of their own EPG and the ability to charge broadcasters for inclusion means that they can not allow viewers to remove channels as they wish and I suspect the linking of interactive elements to channels is hard encoded to increase performance so while it's possible it is perhaps not practical.

There certainly was an opportunity to remake the EPG for use in SKY+ since there were no restrictions in making sure older hardware was fully compliant.
    However I suppose the old adage of "if it's not broke don't fix it" came into play, the EPG and Planner work and would only need minor updates to enable the additional SKY+ specific functions. The need to make the transition from normal SKY to SKY+ would also have been a factor, no learning curve at all:)

I do hope that the new SKY+ HD operating system and gui is given a complete make over but I still expect channel lineups to be fixed.