Sky+ software - any updates planned ?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by monkeyleader, Oct 31, 2005.

1. monkeyleader

monkeyleader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    So although I love my sky+ box there are a number of features Id love to see added. Was round a mates the other day and he was showing me his freeview PVR which although missing some of the features of sky+ had a host of others that maded me a bit jealous. Some of them along with my own wants Ive listed below - anyone know if these will ever be on the cards

- better search facility. At the moment I use DigiGuide on my PC once a week to search for the stuff I wanna search, then I gotta go into the sky+ planning and +24 hours search and record

- keyword search. I want you to record everything gaming related, so wether it be a gaming show, has it in the title or indeed everything with a certain actor in it

- sky+ warnings - so often I go to watch something from my sky+ planner only to realise its not recorded as I had run out space (yes yes I know I need a bigger HDD) but would it be so hard for sky to flash up a warning on your screen saying sky+ has less that xx (you define the limit) space left and the following recordings will fail

- ethernet connection - sky+ and if I have a load of travelling to do I normally copy the recordings out to my archos for viewing on the plane,hotel etc .. If Im away for say a couple of weeks Id love to be able to ssh into the box and copy back a couple of recordings

- remote managment - again if Im away I want to be able to program the box for recordings via an ssh terminal or web portal.

Think thats it for now :)

Nige

2. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    I've just ordered Sky+, having had a Tivo for years, so I'm a little concerned I'll find it too limiting.

How does it handle 'full up' situations (I had a 240GB tivo so never an issue, and I got lazy leaving whole seasons of the west wing on there). Will it just delete earlier episodes unless you tell it not to?

If you automatically record something at the same time every day, can you get it to automatcially record over the old one? Tivo does that and its a lifesaver for kids TV - stops it filling the disc very quickly. If not, I'll have that as my wishlist.

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    You should never buy consumer electronics without knowing what it is or isn't capable of:)

Like most TIVO owners I suspect you will be shocked how limiting the EPG on SKY+ is compared to TIVO and perhaps won't be compensated for the SKY+ plus points.

Disk managment is either AUTO or Manual, an Auto setting deletes recordings if space is required based on a number of parameters (listed in the SKY+ manual). The manual disk managment as it says leaves the user to manage disk space.

SKY+ will record each episode individually, a viewed recording will stay until you either manually delete it or it's removed by the Auto management if it meets certain criteria.

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    The biggest problem with SKY hardware is always the need to make everything backwards compatable, a software feature for the latest STB has to work on the oldest version of that box and the older boxes will have less processing power and ability to manipulate data.

Manufacturers who make one off STB's don't have to worry about this and can add features that they consider will give them an edge in the market, they can also abandon development and support of a STB a the drop of a hat.
    They can be bloody expensive as well, you could have knocked me down with a feather when I read how much the Toppy was selling for:)

Most hardware advances only occur when a brand new STB line is introduced, SKY+ being the obvious example. I expect the new SKY+ HD to be far more versatile software wise and have some of the hardware capabilities that could be on wish lists but at the end of the day SKY are making hardware for their services not to compete with the open market.