Sky Slows down Internet Speed

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by STEVENM1000, Feb 8, 2009.

1. STEVENM1000

STEVENM1000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I realise you are required to have a telephone line linked to the Sky box,but I have noticed when connected this appears to slow down my internet website loading and access speeds.If I disconnect the Sky box from the telephone line my broadband seems to load at least 2 to 3 times more quickly.I only have the one telephone line which feeds Sky and my broadband connection.I would not have thought Sky would slow the broadband down as surely the line to Sky is not in constant use?Does anyone have an explanation or solution ?

2. J4CK DANIELS

J4CK DANIELS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    Not to sound rude but do you actually use it!?... if not, unplug it! (only for red dot and box office) interesting though, mine knocked my broadband out but it was a filter issue.

3. captainm1uk

captainm1uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi
    I had the same issue even with a filter in it - so I unplugged it - got the letters from sky but by that time I was out of my 12 month contract so there was nothing they could do about it

The sky box causes so much noise on the line. If you phone them they will say the router is too far from the main socket but if it only happens with the sky box in, it isn't rocket science is it

4. STEVENM1000

STEVENM1000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I would leave it unplugged but when switching on Sky from standby I have had the message"your telephone line is not connected" or similar message.Also I had the message no satellite signal being received, but when I reconnected the telephone line all was OK,although I do not know if that was just a coincidence.

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

It should only say that when you boot up a box from cold not coming out of standby.

That could be a blip in LNB switching or a sporadic hiccup with the tuner being reset after Anytime was used overnight.

6. cicada78

cicada78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +123
    I certainly noticed it happening. Before SKyHD was installed i was getting 6Mbps then with hd went in and was 1.5 and constant loss of connection. So within 30mins of sky going in the hd modem was unplugged.Back to 6.

Come on sky bring on the letters!

7. BrianMc

BrianMc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    Any loss of speed is, almost invariably, the extension wiring to the Sky STB and not the fault of the STB itself! Or people forgetting that the STB's own phone connection needs a microfiler!!!!

8. shirks

shirks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh it's properly filtered Phone and Sky (not at present) are in the phone side of the microfilter and then router into the modem side.

I'm at work and my work mate was loged in.

I understand how the microfiltering works. Just wish with sky you can network it and speaks to sky that way and avoids the whole problem.