Sky&Sky+

plasmaheadache

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

In house i have a tv distribution wired up with a 8way CRIS amp. Connected signals to amp are digital aerial,sky and CCTV
The sky+ box is in main location and sky box in 2nd lounge.

Now i want to move sky box into main location, so that i can watch sky and sky+ in all locations.

At the moment i can watch sky and sky+ in all locations except for 2 above.The 2nd lounge has 2 ct100 running to it,sky signal and rf2 return into combiner. Both rf2 on each box return to sky combiner then into amp.

In main location i have four ct100 cables-two for sky+ feeds and other 2 for return loop.Seems i need another cable for extra sky box?
Sorry if it is not explained well,a wiring diagram would be much easier.:facepalm:

It is going to be a nightmare to run an extra cable if i need it,so i was hoping there was an alternative somehow. I have spare cables there which are cat5. I have seen devices that allow video down cat5 but they are too expensive.

If you are willing to do without terrestrial TV in the main room you could use the terrestrial feed in to the main room as your third satellite feed.

Thanks for very quick reply Neil.
I take it then you understood what i tried to explain:smashin:

Not really, running another cable looks like my only option then. I was hoping that there was a way of sending terrestrial and normal sky down one cable:mad:

The link does not work.
The link I gave you shows what you need for what you want to do - multiplex on a single cable.

Sorry Neil,but the loftbox has same connections as my amp. Only difference is UHF is called return loop.So why would i need one?

Sorry, please see attachment if this works

Attachments

• tv-dist-8-01b.jpg
    tv-dist-8-01b.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 74
May be my eyesight but that picture is unreadable.

Unless your box has LNB In then it won't work as you require.

Could be your eyesight;)

From top left this is what is on each port

Sat Dish LivingRoom DABAerial TV5 TV6 TV7 TV8

CCTV Aerial FMAerial Return Earth TV1 TV2 TV3 TV4

Hope this helps

OK, back to basics. In your main room do you have a wall plate? You say you have four cables - do these cables enter the main room direct or via a wall plate?
If via a wall plate then you are already multiplexing one of the Sky signals.

Enter via a wall plate. Plate has Sat1 / Sat2 / Tv / Return & FM/DAB.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:ooops
Removed plate,only to find one of the ct100's not connected.Only three connected.

I take it Sat1 or Sat 2 on wall plate must be via Sat dish on amp,then out of amp on livingroom connection.

So if i connect spare to sky box i should be ok.

Then if i connect both rf2s in to sky combiner and then into return on wall plate, i should get sky and sky+ on tvs 1-8.

WHat about tv in main location. How do i get sky and sky+?

Hope it makes sense,and is it correct?:rolleyes:

So if i connect spare to sky box i should be ok.

You have to find out where it goes to in the loft

Then if i connect both rf2s in to sky combiner and then into return on wall plate, i should get sky and sky+ on tvs 1-8.

You need to connect RF2 of Sky+ box to RF In on the regular box, then RF2 out of regular box to Return. You may have to alter this if you are using "Eyes".

WHat about tv in main location. How do i get sky and sky+?

Why would you want to? (Different Scart sockets on TV or RF1 from regular Sky box)

You have to find out where it goes to in the loft

It goes to homenetworking panel, where 4 cables from sat lnb also go.

You need to connect RF2 of Sky+ box to RF In on the regular box, then RF2 out of regular box to Return. You may have to alter this if you are using "Eyes".

I have 'Eyes' on other tvs

Why would you want to? (Different Scart sockets on TV or RF1 from regular Sky box)

I take it your saying RF1 for one sky box to tv,the other via scart.

I want to,sothat when one of the kids turns over whatever box they are watching, i can revert to other.

"Homenetworking Panel" I presume is just a patch panel where you can connect any of 4 inputs to any of 4 outputs, in which case the "spare" cable in your main room will be a LNB feed and so, yes, you can connect that to your regular Sky box.

If the other rooms are using Eyes for the Sky+ box then the Sky+ RF2 has to go to the Return and Regular box RF1 to RF In on the Sky+ box. TV from the wall plate goes to RF In on the regular box.

Does your TV have two, or more, Scart sockets? If yes, then connect regular box to one of them and Sky+ to another. If not connect RF2 on regular box to TV aerial in and Sky+ box to TV via Scart.

Don't forget to set different RF Channels for both boxes.

I will try as soon as i get peace from kids Neil:rolleyes:

The sky+ box at the moment is connected by scart to rgb convertor,then to Denon Amp,then upscaled to hdmi to tv. Also connected on rf1 to tv as well.

So,with that setup i do not need sky combiner that is now connected with rf2 of both boxes on inputs,output to amp.

I take it that the sky&sky+ signals go through rf2 on sky+,and i should pick this up on tvs 1-8?

Last edited:
Thanks for reply again Neil,nearly there now...

Don't understand that..

At the moment the rf2 outs of sky &sky+ connect into sky combiner device,which the output connects into return loop on amp. So why would you use one of these when you acheive it by connecting as below?

If the other rooms are using Eyes for the Sky+ box then the Sky+ RF2 has to go to the Return and Regular box RF1 to RF In on the Sky+ box. TV from the wall plate goes to RF In on the regular box.

So for me to understand,the normal sky box signal that comes into sky+ on rf1 will go out on rf2 with sky+ as long as rf channels are set different? Or is supposed to be RF1 out on reg box to rf2in on sky+?:rolleyes:

At the moment the rf2 outs of sky &sky+ connect into sky combiner device,which the output connects into return loop on amp. So why would you use one of these when you acheive it by connecting as below?

Exactly!

So for me to understand,the normal sky box signal that comes into sky+ on rfIN will go out on rf2 with sky+ as long as rf channels are set different?

Yes

Finally connected up everything as you described Neil. Works a treat:clap:
Now have sky,sky+,cctv&freeview on tvs with it built in.

Thanks for your patience and help.

There is one other thing. I recently purchased a freeview box. I connected this up on one of the tvs 1-8 and it worked fine. I then tried in main location connecting it before sky and sky+ boxes. Tried tuning in on tvs 1-8-no signal found?

Yes,i think i did! I will try again tonight on tv 1-8.

Going back to original discussion, i cannot control sky box in other locations. So,do i need to use global sky combiner for this,or is it connected up incorrect?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom