Sky+/Sky+/Sky = 5 cables!

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Jonmurgie, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Jonmurgie

Jonmurgie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Posted on behalf of a friend looking for some advice:

------------------------------------------------------>

I currently have a Sky dish which serves a Sky box and a Sky+ box. I want to add another Sky+ box so that three rooms can view completely different channels and two of them can use the recording functions of Sky+.

However, I believe that the LNB on my dish is a Quad one, meaning that it can run 4 regular Sky boxes, or a combination of Sky and Sky+ boxes, up to a maximum of 4 cables. Since the Sky+ boxes use 2 cables each, this presents a bit of a problem - I need 5!

I have done a bit of research and gather that you can get 6-cable LNBs to swap for the original one, which would allow me to achieve what I'm trying to do. I have a few questions about this which I was hoping you folks could help me with:

1) Are 6-Cable LNBs available?

2) If so, where can I buy one from and how much do they cost? Google and eBay turned up blank.

3) How difficult is it to swap the LNBs while the disc etc is up on the wall of my house?

4) If I get Sky+ installed, would they replace the LNB as part of the service or would they insist on me having an additional dish and LNB altogether?

5) Will Sky even ACCEPT my order, given that they will know about my current LNB usage and the fact that it won't allow another box to be added?

6) What is my best course of action?

Many thanks for any advice/replies.

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I know 8-output LNB's are available. Not sure about 6.

3. Jonmurgie

Jonmurgie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Good call... just found a few online, called 'Octo' LNB's :)

4. Bluevanman

Bluevanman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Possibly not, and they certainly won't guarantee the dish/lnb/cable,and possibly not the boxes any more.

5. gbmitie

gbmitie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    a solution would be a dual feed bracket and 2 quad lnb's but if using a sky dish the dual feed may not fit. A dual feed is usual for hotbird 13%e and astra 19%e and as both sats are at different heights in the sky u have to tilt the bracket but if u were to keep the bracket level u could focus in on the one satellite. To get a really good signal u may need a bigger dish, say 80cm rather than sky's litte tiddler. Look here for the bracket. scroll down. u could also have 2 sky dishes but may not look very nice. keep the 2 dishes from sky, sell them on ebay and buy a new 80cm on ebay.

http://www.satellitesuperstore.com/lnbs.htm

gb--