sky/sky + picture settings ("services" "system setup" "picture settings")

assassin786

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys this thread is for what settings you have in "services" "system setup" "picture settings"

What are yours for sky/sky + via rgb scart????

They will vary according to the type of tv Sky is viewed on,
Widescreen or 4x3, scart connection or viewed by RF, The ability to view by RGB or Composite video etc...so it's a pointless exercise asking people to contribute to the thread.
On the other hand...do you have a query or do you want to know what settings yours should be set to?

They will vary according to the type of tv Sky is viewed on,
Widescreen or 4x3, scart connection or viewed by RF, The ability to view by RGB or Composite video etc...so it's a pointless exercise asking people to contribute to the thread.
On the other hand...do you have a query or do you want to know what settings yours should be set to?

What settings mine should be to..???

i have a samsung le40m86bd

Use
Picture format 16:9
Scart Control On
Video output RGB
Contrast to suit you although on a new set I would avoid high for the first couple of months.

Why have scart control on? I have put mine off as the pic seems so much better and brighter.

What does it mean anyway?

Why have scart control on? I have put mine off as the pic seems so much better and brighter.

What does it mean anyway?

It ensures automatic wide screen picture switching and IIRC ensures RGB not PAL(composite video) is selected. Does your picture change quality when you switch from PAL to RGB if it doesn't you aren't watching in RGB - the best quality on any LED/Plasma screen. If the picture isn't bright enough on RGB alter the contrast in the Sky's picture settings.

Something funny.

Scart control off, No diff between RGB and PAL

Scart control on, Big diff between RGB and PAL

PAL is much more sharp and brighter. I dont want to put my settings higher as the TV is only 2 days old ( 50" Samsung Plasma)

No, thats expected Paul.

Scart control Off - Picture will always be PAL (Composite) regardless of whether you have it set to RGB or PAL in the other setting.

Scart Control On - Picture will be either RGB or PAL depending on what is selected in the other setting.

I have seen this a few times that people say 'PAL looks better than RGB'. This is just not true and never will be, RGB is the optimum setting if you using a Scart cable. PAL is never sharper regardless of what you may believe you are seeing, with PAL you will get a fuzz around text and images, I think some people believe this to be increased sharpness but its not, its picture noise and its horrible. Still not convinced? Have a look at bright colours on PAL then RGB, you will find that RGB produces much more vivid, rich colours than PAL. RGB is better than PAL, thats not my opinion its just fact.

Sorry if that sounded like a rant, it wasn't intended to be, I just get annoyed when I see people watching on composite or PAL when they could and should have it set to RGB.

Yes I totally agree that is why I find it strange.

I have been running a Samsung Rear projection 43" for the last 5 years and PAL looks much worse than RGB. I use a QED 1.5 meter scart cable cost me a fortune 5 years ago. Not sure what they cost now.

I need to do more playing i think. I am amazed how dark it is on RGB it is like 5 level changes in the brightenss, my rear projection had no real change in brightness when changing.

Thanks for your reply at least I know what the Control on and off means now

Paul, what TV are you using?

I have experienced RGB Scart issues on older CRT's, when you have the output set to RGB the picture goes really dark and isn't really watchable, that happens with the old 14" CRT I have in my bedroom so I have to set things to composite.

Thats not issue with newer TV's though, especially LCD's/Plasmas.

Sammy PS50c96H.

I am moving things round today so I can use my QED lead. I have a longer one fitted just now as my TV is on the wall. It is a good one though with gold ends etc but it is ribbon type ( flat not round ) I am sure that should not make any difference though.

I would not say it's not watchable just noticeably darker. I have only tried sky so far.

I should be able to hook up my dvd later today and see how that works, although on saying that it won't be used for movies only for watching TV and stuff the wife has recorded on sky and the dvd player.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom