1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SKY\SKY+ install questions

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by TopBear, Oct 27, 2005.

1. TopBear

TopBear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im considering having SKY+ installed in my new build house soon, and have some questions that recent adopters may be able to help answer with before I get on the phone to the SKY call centre drones.

Everyone else in my street has the std Sky dish installed just under the soffit, which Im happy enough with, and as I estimate the height is less than 30 feet, doesnt require a 2 man job. They also all have the single cable (non Sky+ install ?) running around the outside of the house and then straight through the wall into living room where the receiver box is, which I think looks unsightly :thumbsdow

Ideally I would like to have the (dual SKY+ cable?)e run from the dish into the soffit and then across the loft and then down the wall cavity along with the std coax aerial to arrive beside the current TV wall socket. As I have a well lit and floored loft, access shouldnt be a problem.

I expect that the installer wont be interested in doing a 'homer' to to this for me, but is he likely to be happy to pass the cable into the loft, and then I will run it down to the livingroom socket, where he can hook up the end from? Or alternatively, if I buy the cable in advance and run it, will he be happy to test and connect them up on the day?

Whats other peoples experience of the dealing with the standard installers to have a 'custom' install done?

2. thelurch

thelurch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    In my experience with 3 different SKY sub contractors they will only do the easiest way, whether that is because they want it easy or just because of laid down rules.

They will not go in lofts ( even though mine was boarded fully), they will not touch tiles or soffitts. They will only drill holes through walls.

Generally the cable will have to go down and around the outside of the walls to the height and position it needs to be and then the wall will be drilled.

You are better off actually doing the cabling yourself before they come, so they can just put the dish up and connect the box, it wouldnt cost you that much in cable, they could put the connectors on. At least that way you get them run where you want.

You could on the other hand get an installer who may be willing to bend the rules slightly but I doubt it.

3. JamieC

JamieC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently had Sky+ and multiroom installed, I wanted the multiroom cable to go into the soffit and through the loft into the bedroom. I asked the engineer if this was ok and he said yes if you help me. While he was fixing the dish I jumped up the loft and pulled the multiroom cable in, job done.

He even left loads of slack in the loft just in case I ever moved my box.

I left him to make all the connections. He also installed the Sky+ cables were I wanted them.