• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Sky+ / Sky HD with communal dish - NEW question :)

M

MeantToBeWorkin

All,

I've spent some time looking through the questions and answers on this forum from people that are hoping to use Sky+ or Sky HD but cannot easily (if at all) add a second feed to their setup.

Some have mentioned that (like me) they have two Sky sockets in one room, and the advice is to "borrow a friend's Digibox" to test if there are two feeds, or just one feed running via a splitter.

My question (which I'm pretty sure is new :) ) is - what is the "pass criteria" of this test? Am I right in thinking that if you had two Digibox's, each displaying a different channel, that this would mean Sky+ would work? If not, how should I test?

vex

Testing a single channel from each feed is not quite right.

Ideally you should flix through several different channels on each box, or do some research and find a channel from the High, Horizontal band and a channel from a low, vertical band. This will be conclusive proof of two seperate feeds.

The reason being you may, by chance, have selected two channels that both appear in the same band rather than different ones. This would mean it will work without any problems giving you the false hope of two different feeds.

Hope that makes sense.

Chris

M

MeantToBeWorkin

One followup question - is it necessary to have a valid viewing card in the second Digibox for this test to work? I have access to a spare box but not a card (well, not tonight anyway!).

You mention that different channels are transmitted on different bands - is it likely that the freeview channels (which I assume you can view using a Digibox with no viewing card) will all be on the same band? I'm happy to research this myself if you can give me an idea where to start?

Thanks again for the advice - this forum helped me choose my new TV in the first place!

vex

Off the top of my head I can not give you channels that will appear in the different bands.

Not haveing a viewing card should not be a problem, some of them should be free to air channels.

What Satellite or some of the channel guide magazines use to give a channel and band listing. I dont know if they still do.

Chris

M

MeantToBeWorkin

Thanks Chris - I've got two Digibox's connected to two TVs and seem to be able to get any combination of channels I like. This can only be good :)

For anyone else's reference, this website indicates only a few channels are on one band, with the majority being on the other (it doesn't name them, but I'm guessing it's C- and Ku-).

http://www.vowles-home.demon.co.uk/Sat/Sky.htm#quick16 (under the heading "16. No Signal Received on SOME Channels (ITV1, ITV2)"

Of course, I'm a complete novice, so should this post be misleading, I hope one of the more knowledgable members will put me straight.

Out of interest (and if anyone's still interested in this :)), what would happen if there was definitely only one feed, being split to two sockets?

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom