Sky/Sky+ 4:3 16:9 format switching problem

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Messiah, Apr 20, 2003.

1. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I have a Sony Sky box and a Sky+ box and both these units when switched between 4:3 and 16:9 output in the Picture Settings menu show absolutely no difference on screen.

When watching any of the movie channels I find the only way to get the correct aspect ratio is to use the Zoom mode on the display device which then chops off loads of the top and bottom of the picture.

Should I not see some difference in the output image format when switching between these options in the menu and then choosing Save New Settings?

Thanks.

2. Ridcully

Ridcully

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Depends on what channel you are watching. Make sure its a widescreen channel ie BBC1/2, premier widescreen or similar. If there is no widescreen transmission then obviously any settings changes will make no difference.

If you are going to 'Zoom' then its not a true widescreen picture in anycase. For true widescreen to be shown correctly then for manual selection you need to use 'wide' or 'full' or some other similar terminology depending on TV make

Also check that connection to the TV supports widescreen signalling, so that the 'auto' mode works on the TV. As an example on my Panasonic 32PF10 TV scart 1 supports the signalling but 2 and 4 don't. This means that even with a true widescreen source, only if its fed into AV1 will the auto mode work correctly. Using any other av socket and I have to select the widescreen mode manually.

Hope this helps

3. Mattk

Mattk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've found the same problem, channels on SKY are in a letterbox but this only looks right on 4:3 TV's. On 16:9 Tv's the picture is incorrect, Only the BBC channels are in the correct format for widescreen TV's. I too have to use zoom mode to get the right aspect ratio it's so annoying:mad:

4. Ridcully

Ridcully

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    which specific channels are you talking about. The only channels that I can think of that have letterbox transmissions are some of the films on Sci Fi and moviemax and most of the stuff on TCM.

If you let me know specific channels and programs I can tell you if its set up correctly.

5. rct

rct

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Channels on Sky digital are generally flagged correctly for 4:3/16:9. There is however a problem with some (mainly the flextech/UKTV channels) in that they choose to use 14:9 transmissions for material that was originally 16:9 at source. AFAIK the digibox has no means of 14:9 signalling unlike itv analogue and the image is treated like 4:3 leaving wide black bars at the sides and thin ones at the top and bottom.

Is the above what you are referring to? If so there unfortunately isn't a solution.

p.s. the aspect ratio, remains correct when shown as a 4:3 image, it's just that optimal use of the screen size isn't happening. :)

6. Mattk

Mattk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Discovery and the UKTV channels are the culprits for me so I guess there is no solution, like you say they look fine in 14:9 but the TV doesn't switch them properly. In auto mode the TV shows them in a letterbox mode and they are stretched. Just have to hit the zoom to get the right aspect ratio.