Sky - size of dish?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by avjon, Nov 7, 2005.

1. avjon

avjon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    :confused: I live north of Dundee in Scotland and we have a 55x60cm Sky dish at the moment.

Whenever it rains or is cloudy/foggy the signal can pixellate and we get failed recordings etc. Even when the system was first installed the signal strength was no more than 50% for both signal feeds.

I was wondering if there were any issues I should look at before considering getting a larger dish? Presumably I can just buy a larger 80 or 90cm dish with a quad LNB and replace the present dish.

Does nyone know of any quality dishes/suppliers etc that I could buy from?

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Jon.

2. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    Maybe the dish isn't properly aligned? Also check the cabling .. corroded or otherwise damaged cables could drastically affect signal quality.

A new LNB with a lower Noise Figure can also help you get the most out of your dish, though I'm not sure if the Sky-supplied dishes have a standard mount point for them. I've got a Smart Titanium 0.2dB Dual LNB and it has really helped pull in the weaker channels properly. Before, things like BBC and ITV would break up in bad weather (even with a 0.3db Invacom). Now, no problems.

Gav
    Gav

3. avjon

avjon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thankdks for the reply Gav,

I will have a lok at the mounting to see if it hsas come loose, and whether the LNB needs adjusting/tightening etc. What is the best way to align the dish?

Thanks

4. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    I live west of Aberdeen and I have never experienced problems like you describe. Even last nights storms failed to make any impact on my sky dish but was playing havoc with my 1.2 metre motorised gregorian.

It is most definately alignment or cabling as Gavan suggested. You could get someone to watch your signal bars on the TV and then gently tug on the sides and top of the dish to see if the signal strenth rises. If it does on one side the loosen the dish brackets slightly and very gently move the dish until you get the best signal strenth. Then retighten everything and hopefully the problem will go away. If there is no change in signal strength or it drops when you tug on the dish then it is time to check the connections.

Hope that helps

5. ArcticFox77

ArcticFox77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I live in Carluke, South Lanarkshire, after last night storms no probs here either. Sometimes round about 9pm i usually get a slight pause for a second but everything seems to be ok apart from that.

6. gavan

gavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    The best way is with a professional digital signal strength meter - which cost a bundle ... but you can pick up cheapie ones that make an audio tone.

Gav