Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Sky +, silly question11

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Matravers, Sep 16, 2003.

1. Matravers

Matravers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have a pace twin and am findig it excellent in general, but, freeview signal i do not think is nearly as good for a plasma display than sky.

Therefore if i get sky plus for £10/month, £200/box & £1/installation, do i have to get a sky package to receive standard terrestrial channels and freeview ones, as they are the only channels i am interested in, or would i require a sky package aswell????

I am sure the answer is that i need a sky package aswell, but believe it or not not even sky could answer the question!!!!

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Until recently it was possible to pay a Skyplus+ £10 monthly subscription to have Skyplus+ functions with free to view channels, no Sky channel package required.
    Now to receive ITV, C4 , C5 you will need to pay at least the minimum Sky channel subscription @ £12.50 per month , same as with normal Sky boxes.
    BBC channels are viewable and recordable with no Sky channel subscription, if you can manage to find a Sky Customer Service rep to enable your Skyplus+ ( difficult :eek: ).
    It's alleged that you may subscribe to a " gentleman's entertainment " channel such as Tantalise for a month @ £9.99, have them send you a viewing card which will allow usage of ITV, C4 and C5, then cancel your payment as soon as your month expires. I couldn't comment as to whether this works in practice.
    Sky has stated it is working on a Freeview style channel offering for the future, maybe that's what you need. :)

3. Matravers

Matravers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes, a freeview style offering would be ideal as that is really all i want for now.....out of curiousity, channels such as ITV1 and BBC1 when they send the football, is the signal better quality than standard freeview????

Also, if anyone hers of a freeview offering or knows any info at this stage please do say!!!

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

I have never been impressed with the dsat offerings of the BBC and ITV1 when it comes to football, I have frequectly switched back to analogue to get a better pricture.
    From reading these and other forums the general concesus was that DTT offered higher bitrates and therefore a better potential picure then the equivalent dsat channel.
    I don't have DTT/Freeview myself but I have no reason to doubt people who have both and offer their subjective opinions.

5. Matravers

Matravers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    starburst,

do you have any links to such threads discussing the differences????

6. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Agree with Starburst.
    I have both, in particular F1, World Superbikes, Moto GP and similar are not as good through a dish.
    No idea about footie, never watch it ! :D

7. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

Nothing to hand, do a search using the word bitrate and you should get a few results from threads discussing picture quality. Also you can try the DS forums which have both DTT and Dsat sections which have covered PQ issues.

It is very difficult to get solid information comparing the two platforms since without modified SKY hardware it's impossible for the normal user to measure bitrates. DTT is easier since there are PC cards which have that feature but you still have to contend with the variable nature of bitrate allocation on transponders/muxes that use statistical multiplexing to share a set amount of capacity amongst a number of channels.

Factor in the differences both small and large between STB's and then the actual display they feed and you can get a wide range of results. At the end of the day the only thing that is important is what it looks like to you although that is not always easy to decide without a full installation in your home.

8. sanderton

sanderton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it rather depends on which channel they are broadcasting the footie, and what is on the other channels it is multiplexed with at the same time.

I usually find that they seem to prioritise BBC 1 bitrate over BBC 2 bitrate on Freeview - so a football on BBC 1 looks great but on BBC 2 it's a bit iffy.

On Sky, possibly because they are multiplexed with more channels (?) I've not noticed a BBC 1/BBC 2 difference.