1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sky signal

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by bob5, Apr 20, 2003.

1. bob5

bob5
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just had a new sky box and dish fitted and the signal seems very weak(40%on quality 60% on strength).
    the engineer said that the signal would be "boosted"?does it make any sense?
    I have to say that the picture on my pioneer mxe433 seems o.k.
    Ijust wondered if the signal should be stronger as my old dish and box used to show about 70% on both.

bob5

2. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Digibox displays vary quite a lot. 40% quality should be fine. If you experience any picture or sound breakup (especially in rain) then get the dish/LNB alignment checked. Presumably you didn't sign the Sky "satisfactory installation" sheet?
    Sky don't employ "engineers" so that probably explains the bull**** statement! At best he would be a "technician" with 3 week's training. No it makes no sense. How can they possibly "boost the signal" to *you* without also boosting it to the other 5 million subscribers receiving the signal from the same satellite? ;)
    So why did you replace the old dish and receiver and what is a "pioneer mxe433"? Pioneer make HiFi systems as I recall.

Fman

3. bob5

bob5
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi fernsehman
    I wasn't at home when the seventh engineer called but he was apparently an area manager employed by sky and not a "ladder monkey"!!!
    I thought the same obout the boosting but my other half said he sounded very convincing!!
    we replaced the old dish because our old box kept locking up ,and sky quoted us £65 to call plus we would probably need a new box at £250!!433mxe is a plasma screen.(typo error)

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    On a well installed SKY digital system you should be looking at minimum 70-80% signal quality and strength.
    Signal qaulity when it rains will drop and in heavy rain and snow fall will easily halve in value so with a 40% reading in good weather you will get a breakup in picture and sound during bad weather.
    Dish alignment/LNB skew/cable quality will all effect the abilty of the signal to withstand poor weather, simply put the higher the reading the better.

5. StephenR

StephenR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The quality reading is more important than the strength, as the quality shows the amount of error correction needed i.e. the lower the signal quality, the more error correction required. I would be concerned with 40% quality - aim to get around 60% as then when you have bad weather your picture won't break up.

6. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's an extremely misleading statement. The readings vary a lot even between Digiboxes of the same make/model. I have two Pace BSKYB2200 and one reads 40/40 but the other reads 50/60 on the same dish! I've also tried a friend's Amstrad DRX100 and that was different again (better actually).

In addition, the standard minidish is used as far north as Carlisle where the signal is considerably weaker than in, say, London.

And the actual signal strength also depends on the individual LNB gain and on the coaxial cable type and length.

So you simply can't specify a "normal" signal or quality level. All you can say is that below about 30% "quality" the picture is likely to break up in bad weather.

Fman

7. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Sorry but If I lived anywhere in the UK I would not be satisfied with a professional installation of a SKY D system that resulted in signal/strength readings that wasn't well into the top quarter percentile.
    If you live in a northeren location then this may have to be achieved by using a Zone 2 dish and yes even though each digibox reports slightly different quality/strength readings (Dependent upon tuner/lnb properties) I don't believe this is a sufficent excuse for low readings.
    If you think 40% should be fine and you are happy with 40% quality readings on one of your 2200's and you get no signal breakup in bad weather then that's great, I am surprised but if it works then I won't knock it.

My previous statement "simply put the higher the reading the better" still stands though.

8. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "Higher the better" is fine. Just don't expect to get 70% with a "minidish" in, say, Manchester every time. My friend there had to install an 80cm dish to get 70% signal and 60% quality and his cable run is only 30 metres of CT100. Digibox readings vary enormously between Digiboxes and were only intended as a guide. And don't expect a Sky ladder monkey to install a "zone 2" dish in Manchester just because the signal level is "only" 50%. If you get a picture then "it must be good" (for a Sky installation). I know one guy who has a minidish on a fence at the end of a 100m cable run. He gets 30% quality level but never has a "dropout" except in the wildest weather. I told him to fit an in-line LNB amplifier but he says "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

9. bob5

bob5
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi fernsehman,
    thanks for the info.
    I still have my old Pace box (now have new Amstrad) can I try the sky card in it to check output of dish,or is each box different?
    how do I get a "better"signal e.g.buy a better quality box,lnb amp or a bigger dish?I give up with sky and my other half has refused to take any more time off work for the elusive sky "engineer"!!!
    bob5

10. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You don't need a card to access the signal menu.

You don't need a "better" signal unless the picture/sound are breaking up. If you do need a better signal then the way to get it is:

1. Check view of satellite from the dish is not obscured.
    2. Get the dish aligned (and the LNB skew set).
    3. Ensure cable is the best (and shortest run).
    4. If all else fails, fit a larger dish (shouldn't be necessary).

(2) can be done by anyone with patience and a view of the TV screen (or a satmeter).

Fman

11. Mattk

Mattk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had problems down here in Devon with even a zone 2 larger minidish, in the end I gave up and fitted an old 80cm dish and universal LNB, twisted it slighty so the skew was correct and I have full signal strength, it now doesn't distort in rain and bad weather!

I just don't think the mini dishes have enough gain.