1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ Signal

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by bgcm12, Nov 30, 2004.

1. bgcm12

bgcm12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is acceptable quality for Sky+ ?

My signal strength is about 80-90% but the strength is only 20% at most.

I have a new Philips 32PW9308 TV and the picture is blocky with horrible artefacts - is it possible that this is because of the quality of Sky+ signal?

If so, how can i get the quality of the Sky signal increased?

Thanks people.

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    The dish needs to be correctly aligned or re-positioned to give a clear line of sight between the dish and the satellite.
    While the meter readings are only accurate enough to give a basic idea of the system performance it's safe to say then anything under 50% in clear weather is not good and will definitely result in loss of reception when it rains or there is snow.
    If the strength is good and the quality very low then you have to consider that the cable and it's connections are not of good quality, water damaged cable will reduce the signal quality and poor f-connectors won't help either.
    If you are within the 12 month warranty on SKY supplied hardware then get them out again, the system should be very good if installed correctly.

99% of the channels via SKY D should give use perfectly acceptable pictures although it has to be said that modern televisions with digital processing tend to emphasis mpegII artifacts more than their lower tech cousins.

3. bgcm12

bgcm12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much for that Starburst.

The Sky+ was only installed on Saturday, although we have had sky digital in another room for a couple of years and the dish is from the original installation. The cable is brand new as i guess are the connectors fitted by the sky engineer.

The signal on the original Sky Digital box also shows quality of around 20% so i guess it must be that the dish isn't pointing in the right direction.

Do you think this would account for very faint vertical bands in the background on all channels - or would this be the TV/Scart?

Thanks again.

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    The vertical bands are probably down to the Amstrad SKY+, that issue has been reported by other posters:(

It could be that the dish alignment has been affected by the slightly heavier Quad LNB or the LNB skew isn't perfectly adjusted for the dish.
    Accept nothing but near perfect reception, SKY are forced by law to offer the minimum 12 month warranty on all supplied hardware so never be afriad to make use of it. Also remember a full refund is on offer if you are having serious problems in the first month(?), the picture problem with the Amstrad certainly comes into the catagory.

5. bgcm12

bgcm12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you so much for the invaluable advice - i'm gonna get onto Sky now and tell them I want a new box!

6. j4kcl

j4kcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lease: I've just had sky+ installed. The sky guy would only install it at the nearest point he could, so i've had to extend it myself. Problem is the siganl strength on signal 1 is about 60% and quality 50% and keeps flickering down to 40%, signal 2 is at 70% signal strength and 50% quality. Viewing on my philips 28pw6615 is poor with what i can only describe as blocks of colour everywhere, and when viewing tv guide or whatever the writing seems very flickery. I used the screw type f connectors as i dont have a crimping tool and some 16meters of CT63 cable.

Please can anyone advise me of what my problem may be?

Is it the skydish, the connectors, the cable or just my tv?

Thanks

7. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The problem is that you had a bone-idle installer ! Get in touch with Sky, and tell them that you are considering cancelling the contract on the grounds of the poor quality installation. That should make them take notice.