Sky Signal to other room very poor...

Keith 1H

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have recently had Sky + installed replacing all my old Sky system. Using the old sky system I took the RF - out from the video recorder as the 'aerial' input into a 4 outlet amp. Perfect Sky and digital TV signals in 4 rooms.
Since I got the new system I still use the RF1 from the sky box into the video then the video out into the amp as before. The quality of picture...only on Sky...is very poor.
I am wondering as my amp is around 5yrs old is there some clash with Sky digital. Freeview is perfect.
I have read about 6 different ways all say they are perfect to get sky into other rooms.
Should I change the amp? That could be a waste of £25.
I am half sold on the idea of trying a SLX4B 4WAY AERIAL AMPLIFIER+BYPASS but I could be wasting my money?

You should be using RF2 output on the Sky box - where is your terrestrial aerial connected?

Neil

Neil thanks for the reply...the roof aerial goes direct to the Sky Box.
I have tried the RF2 output from the sky box plugged directly into the amp. the picture is just the same, poor.
KH.

Have you retuned your TV since the Sky box was changed? The new box probably uses another RF channel.

I could be wrong here but I think you need to turn on the 'power' or something on the RF2 out in the service menu. Think :D

I could be wrong here but I think you need to turn on the 'power' or something on the RF2 out in the service menu. Think :D

No. Turning RF2 "On", only turns on the DC voltage for Magic Eye use.

The TV has not been retuned all the TV's after the amp. have a poor picture.
The RF2 is in the 'on' position.
I will check the Forum Thread suggested.

Thanks for all the replies I'm sure we will get there.

I still wonder if I should buy a new amp...but don't want to waste money as the amp. works fine for freeview on all the other TV's.

What I forgot to mention was that the TV connected directly to the Sky box by a Scart Lead is perfect on Sky.
The RF that goes from the RF socket on the Sky box to the amp...then the other TV's is the problem. I have tried both RF-out's from the Sky box both are poor.

Reading the forum thread seems rather complicated and as I am getting a great picture with the scart lead I don't want to alter too many settings?

As several people on this thread have already told you:

Your TVs which were connected to your old Sky box via RF are all tuned to one particular frequency - the frequency that your old Sky box was outputting its RF signal on.

Your new Sky box is outputting its RF on a different frequency to your old Sky box - therefore all your TVs connected via RF are not picking up the Sky signal via RF correctly.

You have two options - retune all your TVs connected via RF to the frequency that your new Sky box is outputting its RF signal on (almost certainly 68 or 69 if its a new box that hasn't had its default altered). Or alternatively, reset your new Sky box to output its RF signal on the same frequency as your old Sky box (have a look at what one of the RF televisions thinks Sky is output on, then reset Sky to output on that frequency). The second option is obviously the easier - you are only changing one thing (your Sky box) rather than multiple things (all your televisions). But it's up to you...

Last edited:
Reading the forum thread seems rather complicated and as I am getting a great picture with the scart lead I don't want to alter too many settings?

Changing any of the RF settings will not have any effect on the scart output. The only two settings on a sky box which will are scart control (which will have no affect on the picture) and scart picture settings (which should be set to RGB, if you want the best quality).

Checking on the tuning one of the 'other' TV's I found that Sky was on channel 43. I let it do an automatic tune and there was no sign of any other sky channel.

Ok then go into the service menu of your sky box and check it is outputting on ch43, just to be sure. If it is, then perhaps you have a cabling problem

Yes the RF output on the Sky Box is set to 43.

I may go tomorrow and buy a new amp. on the understanding that if it doesn't work I can take it back!

There's something you are not telling us here.

If all the other RF channels, analogue TV and Freeview, are OK on the TV's upstairs then the amplifier/disributor is working fine, unless your terrestrial aerial is not plugged solely into your Sky box as you said it was.

Try changing the Sky box RF outlet to Channel 68 and retuning all your bedroom TV's.

Neil

You don't state your location, but you can check the frequencies your local transmitter is using at here for analogue and here for digital. Just enter your postcode and check that you are at least 2-3 channels away from any of the listed frequencies.

Neil thanks for sticking out to help.
I changed the RF out to 68.
The quality of the picture was better, no snow.
Unfortunately there was striations cutting across.
I then saw that channel 5 in my area also is on 68.
I moved the RF for Sky back to 43.

I did the check of frequencies which confirms Channel 5 Burhope Transmitter is on 68.

Neil
When you said something I'm not telling I went back again.
The RF out from the Sky box goes to the RF in of the DVR.
Then the RF out from the DVR goes to the amp!
Got it I thought...
So I took the RF out from the Sky direct to the Amp. AND
the picture was worse again!:eek:

Neil thanks for sticking out to help.
I changed the RF out to 68.
The quality of the picture was better, no snow.
Unfortunately there was striations cutting across.
I then saw that channel 5 in my area also is on 68.
I moved the RF for Sky back to 43.

I'm sorry if I am sounding simplistic but when you changed the RF channel to 68, you did re-tune your TV?

Try other RF channel numbers, (re-tuning your TV every time). They go from 21 to 69.

Neil

Using the links I posted earlier you should be able to confirm that nothing is boradcasting in the range 40-46, which might interfere with your picture when your using ch43. If there is find a chaneel which doesn't clash and retune everything to that. If there isn't then maybe you have a cabling problem, or faulty amp.

Have you another short coax cable that you can temporarily plug into the tv nearest the sky box and tune that to ch 43. If that gives you a bad picture then its your sky box. If it is fine, then its cabling or your amp. Try removing the amp, to see if that makes any difference.

This morning I sat and tried 44 then 22 then 68 AND then 66.
A great improvement on 66!

All channels are about the 'same' quality now. Still slightly snowy / grainy, so I am going to upgrade all my coax cables leading to and from The Video. Sky Box to the Amp. They are all the very thin type. Those going upstairs etc are already good quality. If that doesn't improve they quailty then its the amp.
Last one for this round!
Best amp. to buy?

Thanks everyone so far.:thumbsup:

Keith, have you had a look at the links I posted. using these you won't have to guess and do trial and error to find a good channel. Just look at all the frequencies that your arial can pick up both digital and analogue, and then pick one that doesn' clash within 2-3 channels of any of them. If you want PM me your postcode, and I could suggest a few.

Thanks everyone for your support.

I tried 40 but the reception was very snowy.
I moved back up to 66 and it is still better than it was originally.

Thanks again.:thumbsup:

is it a thompson box? they have poor rf out signals.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom