1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sky signal strenth booster help

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by scott m, Jun 23, 2005.

1. scott m

scott m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I live in a flats and have a SKy+ box. The flats have been pre wired for sky+ but there are only anouth amplifiers on the system to supply 1 feed to each flat.

I am showing on my signal strength that there is a signal, yet the quality and strength are very low.

I have been told it may take some time for the management agancy to get more amplifiers sorted to supply sky+ to all flats so was wondering, as i am showing a slight signal.

Does anyone know of a way i can bost the signal internally so it is strong enough to use as an actuall feed so i dont have to wait for the anagement agency ???

is there an internal amplifier i can buy that would boost the signal from about 1/10th to a strength where it will work.

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Sky+ needs two dish feeds. How are you doing this from one outlet ?

3. scott m

scott m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    there are already 2 dish feeds running to each flat from the aerial but the amplifiers needed to boost the signal are not in place as of yet on the 2nd feed. hence there is a signal but it is very low and does not give enougth power to recieve the sky through.

When i check the setup, the signal is locked on the 2nd feed yet the strength and quality are both only on about a 10% full on the indicator box

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Ah, OK. An amplifier at the receiver end probably wouldn't help - it's all explained here

5. scott m

scott m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thats a gutter. will just have to wait for the managemnt agency to pull there finger out.

6. scott m

scott m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just noticed that some of the channels are avalible even with only a slight signal and quality seems to be fine.

If the signal strength is good enough for some channels, am i right in thinking it wouldn't take much of a boost to get all the channels working ?

7. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only if you could get access closer to the dish to install it. It won't do anything between your outlet and the box.

Different sky channels come off different transponders on the satellite, they are split into several multiplexes. So you can be getting a couple of multiplexes (a few channels) with absolutely no signal on anything else. For example in spain you might be able to get a load of sky digital with a normal minidish, but in certain areas you'd need a 3m dish to get the BBC.

You'll most likely have to wait I'm afraid.