1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky signal strength with 90cm dish!

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by JetJockey, Nov 17, 2004.

1. JetJockey

JetJockey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.

Last year bought a new Sky system and specified a 90cm high quality dish to avoid picture breakup during heavy rain etc (suffered by some of my friends).
    A quad LNB was also fitted. I asked if it was low noise and was told "makes no difference mate"!

Anyway, the signal strength and quality indicators on the Panasonic Digibox have only ever shown 50% levels on both scales. My brother lives 3 doors up and uses only the standard dish and LNB and gets 75% on his Panasonic strength and quality scales. This can't be right, or can it?? :confused:

Thanks, Gerald.

P.S. picture still breaks up during heavy rain. :mad:

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,208
    I’m having the same problem in this bad rain and I have one of the small dishes (see my thread) and my singles are 75% and 40-50% . Now you mention it I’m wondering if Sky is sending out dodgy signals. I was told both single should be about 50%????????????????????

3. KeithO

KeithO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    I'm in Southern Germany with a 1m dish and I have no problems at all. I don't know what my signal strengths are, but if you're in the UK with a 90cm dish and having problems, I'd say there is something definitely wrong.

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Don't forget that heavy rain affects both uplink and downlink ! I have seen picture breakup on days when there has been stormy weather around, but good weather locally. I'm fairly sure that this is due to bad weather in the Woolwich area, where the sat signal is uploaded from. A bigger dish should give a better than 50% reading, though - have the installer come back if you are unhappy. I'm not sure you will ever be in the situation where you don't lose the signal in very bad weather, though.

5. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sounds like poor dish setup to me,i've NEVER seen a properly set up sky dish break up in anything other than VERY heavy snow!