sky signal strength and quality

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by klnc, Apr 3, 2005.

1. klnc

klnc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I live in an apartment with a communal sky dish. When I check the signal strength and quality settings I get the following strengths - Input 1 - c.18% and Input 2 - c.45%. Quality for both feeds is c.90%.

Now accepting that the quality of the admiteddly weak signal is very good, is this likely to have an impact on the picture quality? I'm not very happy with the communal set up, and living on the top floor i'd be able to get away with having my own dish installed if this would lead to a noticeable improvement in PQ.

cheers.

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Signal quality is much more important than signal strength. On a communal system, the signals from the dish will have been split, and probably do not reflect the strength of the signals received by the dish. Wait until you get a heavy rain shower, and see if the strengths drop - it is then that you may see problems.

3. richkeys

richkeys
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    planning permission is usually required for more than one dish on a building. Check with your local planning department at your council

4. NoDad

NoDad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Signal from SKY is poor at the best of times IF you are using the standard mini dish (I know yours is communal). I have several friends who have only cured the picture break -ups by changing to a 60 or 90cm dish.

I honestly believe that the mini dish and the usual poor LNB are not fit for purpose.

5. klnc

klnc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    comments gratefully received...

ignoring planning permission issues, still not clear on the PQ issue... Accept that the signal strength might be misleading on a communal dish, and signal quality is at least a positive sign, but just opening the question wider, well to anyone who has seen both communal block feeds and those off a standard 60cm sky dish, has anyone noticed a difference in PQ between the two? To get any discernable improvement in current communal PQ do i have to get a) my own 60cm dish, or b) a bigger dish full stop.

and without wanting to complicate matters further, any thoughts on the whole sky high def thing? will current communal set up be sufficient? Appreciate early days on this, but just interested in thoughts...

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The signal quality on your feed is 90%. With that you will get the best picture quality possible. However, because your signal strength is low, that quality might get worse under bad weather conditions, or it might just be low because it's being split. Getting a bigger dish will not improve the picture quality if your signal quality is 90%. The signal quality is really only reporting the number of decoding errors (in reverse), and the majority of these errors are corrected by the box, so at 90% you are not getting that many errors. Because the system is digital, increasing the signal strength will not improve the quality in the same way that it would on analogue.