1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky+ Signal strength and quality

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by docb, Mar 9, 2005.

1. docb

docb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I checked the signal strength and quality on my newly installed Sky+ last night and found the following

Signal strength was at or around 80% with the quality of the signal at less than 1/2 of that on the bar scale, I would estimate at around 30 - 35%.

Is this correct or has something gone wrong with the instalation, and how would I go about correcting it?

Thanks

Doc

2. kennysatman

kennysatman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i take it you are talking about the grey bars? the quality does seem a little low, is your picture breaking up into small squares? check your channels and leave on them for more than a few seconds to find out if your picture is affected, the installer probably just stuck a quad lnb on and never checked the dish alignment, it could also be a problem with the cable ie sharp bends, kinks,a clip hammered in to hard. give it a day or 2 if your picture breaks up or you cannot record stuff then get an installer back out. try unplugging the box for a minute and see if the bars change some boxes give false readings after instal.

3. docb

docb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am talking about the grey bars.
    I have no picture break up, and recording seems OK.
    I dont see how the strength of the signal can be OK but the quality isnt?

Will this affect PQ? I guess it will.
    Do you mean unplug the box from the mains, or the rf cable?

4. kennysatman

kennysatman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes unplug the mains cable
    keep an eye on the picture if it starts to break up then get an installer out.

5. docb

docb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

Kennysatman Thanks for the above.

So will the quality of the signal affect the PQ other than the break up?
    if I have the 35% ish of signal quality, would a signal quality of 80% not give a much improved PQ?
    Thanks
    Doc

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    It doesn't work like that. Signal strength is purely measuring the strength of the signal being received. Because the system is digital, what the box is reporting as "signal quality" is actually the inverse of the number of errors in the digital signal, so zero errors = 100% quality. The box will actually correct a small number of errors, but as the number of errors increases, you will start to see "blocky" pictures, and maybe occasional sound breakup.

If I were in your position, I would monitor the position and see if it gets worse. If you are not seeing any picture problems, then obviously the box is successfully correcting the errors.

7. docb

docb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Nick UK

My problem is my whole system is new, I therefore dont have a reference to base the "is it good/bad PQ" on.

couple this to the fact that I have gone to plasma from CRT and no sky to Sky+ and I am totally unsure as to whether I am loking at good/bad PQ for Plasma or good/bad PQ from sky!!!!

I do experience freezing of the picture from time to time, will this be caused by the low quality signal?

Any idea's welcome.

Thanks Again

Doc

8. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Yes, it could be. Get Sky to get an engineer out. Tell them that your picture is freezing, and that your signal quality is only 35%, and it's a recent install. You may have to make it sound worse than it actually is to get Sky to send an engineer out.