1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sky+ signal strength and quality

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by kicker31, Jan 12, 2004.

1. kicker31

kicker31

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi,
    i use to have a panasonic digibox which gave me a signal strength and quality of 75% early this morning, weather outside is blue sky, then a hour ago a engineer came and connected up my new pace sky+ box and put the extra feed in, when he had gone i checked the signal strength and on input 1 it was about 50-55% for signal strength and quality and on input 2 about 45-50%, what has other people on here got ??? do you think i should call engineer out and ask to see if they can get a better signal???, pq also doesnt look as good as the panasonic box, feel let down a bit with the sky+ at the moment, gonna have to wait till tonight and sit down and watch it to see how pq compares to old set.

2. xyznicko

xyznicko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes get them back signal strenth doesn't matter so much, its quality. On the default transponder you should have 80-90% quality in good weather to protect you when it rains.

The PQ on the V2 Sky plus has a general fault which should be corrected by a future software download.

The picture looks soft focused compared to your Panasonic is that right? It can be seen best on screens full of text.

3. kicker31

kicker31

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah cheers for that, yes picture does look soft focus compared to panasonic box, its raining heavely outside now just checked signal, signal 1 if about 40% where as no signal 2 is actually up to about 60%, both are equal for there % on strength and quality, phonned up people who set it up this afternoon, lad on phone just said it can vary the % of weather etc, and engineer would have set the new lmb upto the best signal available, but somehow i can see 50-60% being the best signal you should get??, might keep a eye on it for next couple of days then phone them again and demand that i want a engineer to come out and reset the signal, if they dont ill get up on ladder and move it slightly then say wind must have moved it:rolleyes: anyway cheers anyone else out there to tell me what % there signal strength and quality is
    cheers
    john

4. dpiper

dpiper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Havn't tested my signal quality but I definitely notice (or think I do, does your mind play tricks with you here?) a softer focus on SKY+ with a Pace box than with SKY and and my old Amstrad box.

Has anyone reported this to SKY recently? What is the response? Has the software upgrade that xyznicko mentioned happened yet? Apart from this issue I've been really pleased with the SKY+ system.

I know this is quite an old thread, but thought it might be worth getting the discussion going again.

Dave

5. xyznicko

xyznicko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pace have supplied the fix to Sky for inclusion in a future download.

There was a post on digitalspy the other day about this, the person had an email from Pace explaining the problem.

The fault had something to do with the way the Skyplus icons (pause,FF etc.) overlay the 1st layer video.

Anyway Pace have fixed it and we are just waiting for the infinite wisdom of Sky to decide when to download it.

6. dpiper

dpiper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that xxxxxxxxxx, I rang Pace who seemed reluctant to admit that there was a problem and certainly never mentioned a software fix, they basically suggested that I should ring Sky and report the problem to them.

I've actually got a Pace Version1 box (as part of the £99+£1 refurbished box deal) and it works fine.. dual record and everything apart from this issue of picture quality. Could it be that the Pace box somehow reduces the bitrate to allow 20 hours of recording to fit a 40 gb HDD? I know I can only store 7 hours at XP on my Panny HS2 40 gb HDD.

It's such a pity when you get a new system which offers excellent new features, but then find that the picture quality is lower than the one you' had before. What to do? Go back to SKY and ditch SKY+…. Arghh no I don't want to, but then again picture quality is an essential feature particularly when you've spent big money on DVD recorders and hi-spech TVs!

What do others think? I need some advice cos I can't make up my own mind!

Dave

7. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

SKY+ records the broadcast bitstream, that is why there is no loss of quality on a recording therefore a recording can only be as good as the original broadcast. So if a program is broadcast at a bitrate that is too low for the content and pixillating/blocking occurs then that is the best you can get.
    SKY Sports/Movies are broadcast at much higher bitrates than the majority of other channels and therefore reduce the total recording capacity of the 40gig SKY+ hard drive well below the "average" of 20hours used for advertising purposes.

I assume the Pana HS2 has a very high bitrate setting BUT all that can do is encode a recording at that level but it can not add picture data that wasn't there in the first place. All it can do is attempt to get as close to the original quality as possible something SKY+ does as parts of it's design.
    If the Pana HS2 records an analogue stream from SKY via RGB scart which has an average broadcast bitrate of 4meg/sec then recording at 6meg/sec (?) does not mean a better recording than the actual broadcast.

8. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

I personally didn't notice any difference between my original digibox and SKY+, however I went from a PACE product to another PACE product. While the basic spec is the same for all digiboxes the actual components used can and will be different which is why you might be seeing differences with picture quality.
    The same applies when you switch brands of televisions whilst using the same source material, they might be based on exactly the same technology but we know that the results will be different.

The problem with the version2 SKY+ is known and PACE's TWIN suffered from the same picture quality issues and was fixed via a software update. I expect the same to be done for the SKY+ but it would help if SKY were more open about the problem and clarified the situaton however for liabilty issues they won't do that:)

As for your specific problem, if the SKY+ picture quality seems so bad to you then I don't think you have any choice but to return it as not fit for it's purpose and wait for the Amstrad SKY+.