SKY + Signal Quality

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Maxsys, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Maxsys

Maxsys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi All,

New here have been reading up on how to get the best from SKY +. I have been messing with my dish alignment and have achieved about 75% Signal quality, is that as good as i will get or can it be made better with some fine adjustment and a satellite meter. I have read that 50% is acceptable for a decent image, but i'm just a fussy git:D who wants the best possible.

Thanks in advance

2. MitsiTurbo

MitsiTurbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    That should be fine! What is your signal strength? Providing that is about 50% then you should be all set. Only thing to watch out for would be signal loss/picture breakup during heavy rain or other bad weather conditions.

EDIT: You say you want the best from it, im assuming you mean picture quality? If so, how do you have it connected to the TV?

3. Maxsys

Maxsys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the response, signal strength is 60% + on both signal 1 & 2 so i guess thats the best i will get.

TV is an LG 37LF75 1080p LCD, connected via a Monster scart cable set to RGB. and Optically to Cambridge Azur 540 amp. I used the settings described in a post about the TV from another user for picture calibration and i have to say it is pretty awsome, i have just been annoyed over the last few days with picture break up and drop out, i live in the South West and its been really bad weather so i guess it won't happen that often.

4. MitsiTurbo

MitsiTurbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Just checking! :thumbsup:

5. MERCURYMAGIC

MERCURYMAGIC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    call me ignorant but why does sky+ need 2 feeds is on for harddrive, if so how come my humax recorder only needs one
    sorry if this is a silly question

6. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Because your Sky+ box has two tuners, so you can watch one channel whilst recording another. :lesson:

7. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,335
    The Sky+ needs two independant feeds as the satellite signal is split into four diferent blocks (frequency bands and polarisation), only one of which the lnb can send down a cable at any one time, which one is controlled by signals sent back up the cable to the lnb by the receiver. I assume your Humax recorder is a DTT recorder which does only need one feed for two tuners(?) as all the terrestrial signals are sent down from the aerial at the same time.