1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky Signal and Trees

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Chrper, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Chrper

Chrper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Moving house in a couple of months, an the road is full of tall trees, wondered if they will make sky a major problem??. They are in the direct line for the dish alignment, but I dont know at what level the satalite feed comes at ( ie is it high in the sky or just above the horizon) I am in manchester if that helps.

If the house is ruled out as a location for a dish can they be located say on the garage or maybe on a 12ft wall we have at the bottom of the garden?

All help greatly recieved, dont want to have to go with NTL as the PQ is V poor on Plasmas

Cheers

Chris

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    The trees will certainly be a problem if they are in line of sight from the dish to the satellite. Where the dish is installed doesn't really matter as long as it's 'view' of the satellite is unobstructed.

John

3. Yugo1

Yugo1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have my dish on my chimney. The reason is my road is full of trees and there's one the size of Vanessa Feltz right outside my house :eek:

I get a signal of 50% and Quality is less. I will be calling out an engineer because I don't think it's the tree.

When you call out sky, ask for a special roof team as the normal ones aren't covered so will rebook.

I think you could have it in the garden on a pole but that would be for the engineer to decide and may cost more.

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The dish will face slightly east of south, and the elevation is quite high. Take a walk along the road, and see what the neighbours have got. If the garden is south facing, the dish will probably be sited on the back wall.

5. Chrper

Chrper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Chaps

I will be getting a local installer to set everything up, as I already have the box etc so its just a case of new dish etc, I suppose I could even take the dish from this house, especially as the LNB is only 3 months old!! I upgraded to Sky+ about 2 months ago then we decided to move!!!

Still it gives me options if the roof is not out of the question, maybe I could arrange to have it installed when the building work is taking place as there will be scafolding up to roof height.

Thanks again for your help

Chris

6. Greggles

Greggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    My house backs onto a forest and even with the tallest of dish mounting poles strapped to my chimney, I still couldnt get a decent signal - until I took a chainsaw to the top of one or two of the offending trees. Apparently when Sky bring out their HD service, I may have further problems.