1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sky Setup?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by neilwillis, May 15, 2002.

1. neilwillis

neilwillis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

My fist post here so here goes..........

I have just obtained (from ebay) a digibox and minidish with a card which is due to run out in a few days (at which point i will call sky and sign up) but what I would like to know is how to install everything?

There was already a dish on my house, which the LNB was missing so I replaced that dish with the one I got. I purchased some digital cable and connected one end to the dish and the other to the digibox and went into the set-up. The signal being received was only half and the quality of the signal was a big fat 0..... There was also no lock or something like that. It then said about no transponder! What ever that means?

Any help on this would be great, as the only thing I have managed to do is get the sky remote to work withy my TV! lol

Cheers

Neil
    :D

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Disclaimer....Never installed a dish and never intend to:)

1)Is the dish aimed at 28.2 and at the right elevation.
    2)Is the LNB aligned correctly

It's quite possible to pick up some sort of signal on a misaligned system since the sky is full of satellites. The fact that you do not have a "lock" means you are not focused on a single satellite, the
    network ID for SKY D is 002 and the Transport stream is 07d4.

You really need to get a digital satellite strength meter of some sort even the older analogue would do at a pinch.

3. neilwillis

neilwillis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for getting back to me....

How do i aligne up the LNB? I can change the angle of the dish with the elevation on the bracket, but not sure about the LNB.

If i get the dish in the right place will the Lock an ID Network come on the screen its self or do i need to enter this info myself?

Many Thanks

Neil

4. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    was the dish you replaced an old type dish ( twice the size of the new miny dish ) if it was then it is most defenatly pointed at the wrong satalite

if it was a miny dish it could be that the people that lived there befor yanked the lnb off the dich with the cable and have misalined the dish

whatever it is there is no way around the fact that it sound like your dish needs moving . this is a job that would'nt like to do . with digital there is no margin of error . if the dish is off by the tiniest of narrow margains you will eather get no sig or one that breaks up all the time . i would go see an indipendant insataller and see how much they would charge to do a realinment . it will save you a lot of trouble

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Squid is correct.
    I know I would never try to align a dish although plenty of people have done it. I would rather pay an expert to do the job and the fact I don't like heights has nothing to do with it:)

If you do get the dish aligned and the LNB fitted correctly then the network and stream ID's will appear on the menu by themselves.

6. neilwillis

neilwillis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well thanks for the advice….

I tried a new dish yesterday and no luck with that. I found a good web page ( http://www.davesull.dabsol.co.uk/index.htm ) followed it word for word, and I couldn’t get the ID Network etc to change. So I have just phoned SKY and gone for the full blown package and got the installation for £10 .....

BUT, and there is always the but........ They can’t install it for 6 weeks (2nd July)

I am going to go out of my head!! As I have ITV D and E4 just want off yesterday too :~(

Well if anyone wants to buy a second hand Grundig Digibox, I have one for sale! And a dish....

Once again thanks for getting back to me!

Cheers

Neil